ad: w5yi

suggestions for newby

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation - AM Fans' started by KK4RSV, Apr 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KK4RSV

KK4RSV Ham Member QRZ Page

If someone was wanting to try their hand at AM, Which old transmitter/ receiver combo would you suggest and why?
    Will a yaesu ft101e make an AM station?
    Looking forward to your answers as I am thinking I might like to try AM.
    thanks

2. KB3WFV

KB3WFV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Darrell

Any transceiver that has the AM mode is good for trying AM. When using modern transceiver's reduce the carrier or output power (with no modulation) to 25% or less of the rigs rated SSB peak out put power. For example a 100 watt SSB rig would be set to 20 to 25 watts or less. Also be sure to set the mic gain level correctly. Activating the ALC while on AM will reduce power output and audio level.

The FT101 is a great choice for AM. There are several mods for those rigs that make them sound really good on AM. Some modern rigs can sound good as well with very little modifications like the TS440. Others like the Icom 7300 a Flex radio or an Anan, can have very respectable AM signals. I'll let others chime in on some of the older so called boat anchors that are prevalent in AM QSO's.

Have fun.

Brian
    KB3WFV

KK4RSV likes this.
  3. WA4JK

WA4JK Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes a FT-101 coupled with a Good amp using at least 3-500's or bigger will do a fine job.
    Plate modulated wise a Viking Valiant and a NC-300 are good dependable rigs if the Valiant has been gone through and updated.
    I personally like a built in VFO, thus my suggestion.
    You'll find that question will get many different responses and view as there are AM operators. That is what makes it so much fun..
    The best thing you can do for yourself is pay very close attention to the antenna. You can dump all the good power and audio into a dummy load bad antenna with ground loading and no gain you want and never be heard or satisfied
    with the results. Take the time to build you a good wire antenna and feed it properly.
    It will make a 150W Plate Mod do wonders or if you choose the FT-101 w/AMP do just fine.

KK4RSV likes this.
  4. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Worse still, on many rigs when the positive peaks reach the ALC threshold, the carrier level drops back, causing a kind of reverse controlled carrier that sounds atrocious with a 'pumping' quality, and has poor audio punch. If possible, disable the ALC function altogether when running the rig in AM mode.

KK4RSV likes this.
  5. KK4RSV

Hey Guys I am liking what I am seeing so far. Just a question about antennas. I currently have an inverted L for 160 and 80 and also and inverted V for 160 and 80 and they work ok on SSB. Is it different for AM?

6. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No. RF is RF. :)

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php

You might want to check out the AM FONE board. Lots of good info and a friendly crowd.

KK4RSV likes this.
  7. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's true in the sense that for example a "DTV antenna" is really just a TV antenna, but the reality is that a poor antenna can be tolerated more easily on CW and slopbucket and digital modes than it can be on AM.

Therefore, the question for the new guy should be for the inverted L, how many radials are in your ground system and how high is the vertical component? For the inverted V, how high is the apex and how high are the ends above ground? Depending on the answers, these can be good or great antennas, or poor to marginal. Poor antennas lead to reduced enjoyable operating because you only get out when band conditions are very good. There's more to this but I'll leave it there for now.

8. KK4RSV

My inverted L vertical section is about 60 ft high with the remainder horizontal and has 40 radials 25 to 35 ft long running north and west. Didn't have room to run any east and south. The inverted V apex is approx. 50 ft and the ends are approx. 10ft high. Also the inverted L is stung from my 68 ft tower and is about 4 ft off of the tower which I think helps.
    Will that work?

9. KK4RSV

Also I have a question about the ft 101e. It has the AM filter. Does that work in transmit or receive only?

10. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

The filter is active in receive only. AM transmit bandwidth is shaped by components in the speech AMplifier in that rig.

KK4RSV likes this.