ad: k1jek

Suggestions for 'new' used rig

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KW4GT, Jan 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
  1. KC4YLV

KC4YLV Ham Member QRZ Page

this is an excellent answer to the original poster who specifically asked what RADIO might suit them well going forward. This forum's so helpful!

:p

K4AGO likes this.
  2. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Hopefully a RADIO that works on 60 m, which by the way contrary to popular belief is actually active as long as you are not using it with a miracle whip like some users do.

Glad to be of service. :)

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

^I agree.

Very few old rigs won't work on 60m, but a few might not.

My 40 year-old TR-7 work just fine on 60m and I've used it to make hundreds of contacts on 60.

At first I was put off by "only USB" but now that we can use CW, my "contact total" on 60m went from about "ten" to about "300" or something, just using it every now and then when 40m dies out. Often even when 40m goes in the dumpster, 60m is still open -- and there certainly is activity.

KC8VWM likes this.
  4. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

bah hambug. op is ready to plunk down 700 beans so he can add 5 more channels to his existing setup.

a ham sammich just isn't a ham sammich without the tangy zip of miracle whip

KC8VWM likes this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ham is hardly ham unless it's Honeybaked.

60m is an easy band to work with unusual propagation. It's often "open" when nothing else is...80m might be, but it's so jammed up unless you have a good antenna and some power nobody hears you on SSB. (I'll admit 80m CW isn't like that, it's easier.)

60m with 100W and a wire can work the world, and it's open like that a lot.

My 60m antenna is a half-sloper fed against my tower as a counterpoise (took some time to tune that) and it might be slightly directional but I don't notice that. I've worked Hawaii to Maine using that, and a few DX contacts as well. A few stations worked reported they were running 5W. It's a good part of the spectrum, probably why it's so popular for maritime operations on the high seas.

KC8VWM likes this.
  6. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

If you look around carefully, you should be able to find a good used FT 950 for around $650 to $750. That radio will give you most (not all) of what you want and stay within your budget. I don't think you will be able to find a radio with EVERYTHING you want for $750.00. The FT 950 does not have a dedicated receive antenna port and does not have a waterfall display. It does have a seperate HF and 6 meter antenna port and can be used with a panadaptor. If I am not mistaken, Yaesu made a panadaptor for the FT 950 and sold it as an extra cost accessory. I saw one on eBay a couple of months ago and it sold for $300.00 by it's self. I have the FT 950 but not the Panadaptor. It is an outstanding radio. The FT 950 has the 60 meters channels put into memory at the factory. That sort of seems like an afterthought, but, it works.

I hope you get everything you want at your price. Good luck...

John
    K4AGO

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 12:52 AM
  7. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

The IC 7300 is down to $1000.00 now on the DX Engineering website.Not sure if that is a Christmas and New Years sale price or not.
    John
    K4AGO