Suggestions for 'new' used rig

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KW4GT, Jan 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KW4GT

KW4GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm starting to think about my next 'new' rig and would like input from others who might have direct experience.

First off I currently have a Yaesu FT-920. In general it's a great rig, it's biggest shortcoming is that I can't get on 60 meters with it (I understand that SOME later FT-920s can be modified for 60, I tried the modification on mine and while it can be made to work on MARS frequencies it still will not transmit on 60).

Some of the features I'd like in my 'new' rig:

160 thru 6

Waterfall display, or at least the ability to work with an external panadapter (I'm currently using one from mypanadapter.com on the FT-920)

2 antenna ports and 1 receive-only antenna port.

I'd like to avoid the need to dig into menus for routine settings.

Used price in the ballpark of $750 or less, I can be a bit flexible on that.

Thanks in advance for your input.

K4AGO likes this.
  2. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

60m is used? huh. i stopped tuning it in because theres never any activity.

3. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Mabey consider trading in the miracle whip antenna for a better one you can put up outside ?:p

I hear activity on 60m almost daily.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    KA4DPO likes this.
  4. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

One option is to find a decent used TS-590S and do the mod to add the SDR output on it. A 590S will fall well enough under your budget to build the cable and buy a decent SDR dongle.

disclaimer: I happen to have a TS-590S in decent shape that could conceivably be available :cool:

5. WD8T

WD8T Subscriber QRZ Page

IC-7300. Someone just posted one for sale in the "for sale" forum.

KA4DPO likes this.
  6. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

i have a 40 element yagi at 12,000 ft. i built the push-up pole myself.

K9ASE, K4TTJ, KA4DPO and 1 other person like this.
  7. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Since you're already a "Yaesu guy" you might look at the FTDX-1200. They're ~$850 new, less than that used. It has a built-in scope if you add the FFT-1 board. IC-7300s are also cheap and plentiful. Each can be made to work with an external SDR dongle.

Most newer radios are going to be more or less menu-y.

8. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

But I pushed it up for him.:D

KC8VWM and K9ASE like this.
  9. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just worked a few stations on 60 meters last night. All sorts of activity even phone...but I am curious as to why that Yaesu could not transmit on 60... it's weird to hear that. I would expect that out of a older Drake tube set where the first IF was around 5500 kHz or so .

10. KW4GT

KW4GT Ham Member QRZ Page

My understanding is that ALL FT-920s can be opened up to MARS frequencies, but that only the newer ones can be made to transmit on 60 meters. I found the mod online which involved snipping a certain wire and entering a magic code.... it opened up my transmit range to MARS (and even 11 meters) but no joy on 60 so I just reset it to factory defaults so I can't inadvertently transmit outside of the legal bands.