Suggestions for Mobil Setup

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by K0BMC, Jul 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

I have run just about every kind of antenna in trucks, cars, RVs vehicles and airplanes and my best mobile antenna by far is the Scorpion by far, the next are where , will Designed Texas bug catchers but you have to change frequency manually, the Power whip by Dave KV5A.
    The Piranha and Tarhell, but I have had problems with both of them.

2. K8SQB

K8SQB Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got a Hi-Q/Piranha, but have had poor luck getting assistance from Charlie. He sent wrong parts, blamed it on me, I sent them back and he continues to ignore my emails. Every time I call I get the same message to call the other number. I'm not sure he's fully back from his Summer vacation, meanwhile the antenna decorates my living room.

K0UO likes this.
  3. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

I feel your pain, I've been there that's why I use a Scorpion.
    Ron from Scorpion will respond, I've even heard him get on the air a number of times over the years to help.

4. K8SQB

K8SQB Ham Member QRZ Page

Finally reached him by phone. He's on another trip. As much as this has been frustrating, I expect this will still prove to be an excellent antenna, particularly for expedition use in the desert, where I can run about with a pretty high whip, though mostly I'll be using it from camp or the odd junction of county lines, empty grids, which should be a bit of fun.

I picked up a 6/160 from someone who used it as a rooftop, it has a 4' mast below the coil, so comes in at about 5 1/2' before adding whip or cap hat for 80m. My mount hard point is already about 3 1/2' above ground. I'll be getting a fold-over for the whip so I can putt around with the whole thing mounted. If they can run about in Iraq with these I should not have much trouble crawling around Death Valley and the surrounding environs.

One thing I will recommend to the OP, study up on Bonding. A bit of resistance or capacitance anywhere can cause some grief.