Suggestions for Mobil Setup

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by K0BMC, Jul 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. K0BMC

K0BMC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a 2015 F150 (aluminum body) four door truck and am wanting to get an HF setup. After some research I am leaning towards the FT-891 as I already have a VHF/UHF rig installed. For an antenna I am thinking a ATAS-12A with a comet Antenna CP-5M mount. However all this is open for suggestions. How have others with a newer ford truck mounted there HF antennas? Would a mount in the bed rail holes be better? Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. I drive by a POTA park almost everyday so I am thinking I would use the setup mostly for quick POTA activations. I know for this I would be better off to put up a full size antenna and I will plan to do this as well for most POTA activations. What else do you guys do on HF while mobil? Maybe there is something I would be more likely to use the rig for that I am currently not thinking of.

Thanks and 73s,

Ben

2. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think there's any way to be absolutely prepared to do something you haven't thought of yet. So, is there any specific thing that you have in mind to do? There are very few things you do at a fixed station that you can't do when mobile... IF you really want to. How about giving us some limits to go by?

3. K0BMC

What do you mean by limits? If you mean my budget then I want to spend the least amount possible but do it right if you know what I mean.

4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For a 'Mobil" setup, first
    1. Use Mobil gasoline
    :)

The ATAS is a particularly poor (inefficient) antenna. If you haven't purchased it yet, consider the Scorpion which gets high marks from Alan K0BG.

If you haven't discovered his website, check it out. Everything you need to know about mobile installations: www.k0bg.com

[​IMG]

K0UO likes this.
  5. K0BMC

I haven’t purchased anything yet. The scorpion is more than I was thinking of spending with a 800+ price tag. I will be sure to check out the site.

6. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

The FT891 would be a good choice....it is a good mobile rig at a reasonable cost. Don't skimp on your antenna and pay attention to grounding and bonding and use a shunt coil and don't forget a common mode choke on the coax. The K0BG website has much good information so you can do your antenna right. I personally run an Icom 706MK2 and a Bug Catcher style antenna on my 2015 Ram. HF mobile is so much fun. (^8

John WD5IKX / m

K0UO likes this.
  7. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Ft-857/D would also be a good choice...
    (And it does UHF/VHF SSB...)
    Then there are the filter options to consider..
    Instead of 2 rigs taking up dash space...

8. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

In that the antenna will be out in the elements, give some serious study time to the causes and affects of bi-metallic corrosion...then install and protect accordingly. You'll be glad you did.

9. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's a very true statement it's a poor antenna at best you didn't tell us which bands you wanting to work on HF

10. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Read Alan's comments on mobile antennas, particularly the ATAS. The ATAS is well knows as an inefficient antenna for over a decade. Tar Hell Antennas also makes a very good small screwdriver type.

KF5KWO likes this.