Suggestions for FT-DX3000 AM settings?

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N6YFM, Feb 27, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. But I almost never watch it. Have to admit that TV is educational--when someone turns one on, I go away and read a book(--Groucho Marx)
    97 Camry with fuel injector but I can work on it because it is way simpler than today's over-priced computermobiles. I'm a simple person and need simple stuff.
    2008 mac mini which I have busted open torn apart and repaired to keep it going.
    Excellent--I hope things stay that way, but what are you going to do if your SDR craps out? What about your computer box? It's part of the rig right?

I jack with software all day long. I'd rather puke than do that in my free time.

2. N6YFM

N6YFM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Um, with respect, nothing to do with SDR or not. Almost all recent modern solid state ham transceivers use
    tiny dense boards with surface mount technology. Its not like trying to fix a 1960 tube radio, which you could
    do blind with one hand behind your back. So, what am I going to do if my SDR craps out?

a. If under warranty, fix it.
    b. If not, use it as an excuse to buy next years fun new model :)

And, what about my computer box? Um, I have been building my own computers since 1994.
    Fairly simple to swap a motherboard, and less expensive that most modules in a modern ham
    transceiver.

My oh my how far this thread has drifted from the original topic :)

Cheers

3. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Not a problem if I wanted to.
    The Peabury was a surface mount kit including small form chips (about as small as it gets).
    Worked 1st time I tried it...

Some things you do not fix anymore, its not worth the time and money to fix something that is out of date.
    My 8 year old TV is a 32 inch hi def I got for $300.00, one of the cheapest ones made.
    If it craps out I will get a 42 inch internet ready one for $300.00 and have a better picture to boot.

Something like my Anan might blow the output transistors maybe, you can just replace them like any transistor.
    The computers I get used refurbished (no bloatware) for around $200.00 for an I5 with 8 gig.
    I can get an I7 for about $20.00 more now, so why fix the one I have?

But really, most stuff works fine and lasts till its way out of date and almost useless, like my Sony laptop, its got XP in it and is hopelessly slow.

Come to think of it, I have not had anything I can remember actually fail, it all gets old and out of date and useless before it breaks or wears out.

Now the old tube ham stuff can crap out often, but yes, you can fix it often...

WB2CAU likes this.
  4. WD8ED

WD8ED Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The way to get full modulation out of a FTdx3000 is simple. Lots of mic gain. No kidding. If I tried to use the 3000 on AM with the mic gain used for SSB ( 13-15 ) it would barely modulate. Jack it hard! On my radio 80-90 and you should be able to get 100% modulation out of it. Proper use of the internal or external EQ and it should sound as good as most newer radios. Funny what you learn when you actually monitor your output.

Thanks,

Ed
    WD4ED

5. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

It does not get into the ALC and pump the carrier up and down when you do that?