ad: QSKLLC-1

Suggestions for FT-DX3000 AM settings?

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N6YFM, Feb 27, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Not trying to pile on, but speaking for myself, one reason SDR will probably never come into my shack is that I'm kind of dense about electronics and pull the cover off a SDR box and look inside and what I see is a lot of stuff I have no idea about, will never be able to repair, and can't understand. One of the big reasons I got into AM was that I could sort of understand and fix the tube gear. I have plastic radios from my slopbucket days and they are largely mystery boxes which I use less and less. SDR would be another black box and I'm trying to get away from that. My hat is off to the few who can figure them out and work on them and fix them, ditto for the plastic radios, but every time I ask a SDR op to tell me how his rig works, what's inside, etc., he never replies and instead wants to talk about what his rig can do not how it works, his leenyar, or lawn care or something else.

2. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you still watch a tube TV?
    Only have a car with a carb and points?
    What about the computer you access this site on?

I have had a BUNCH of modern radios and SDR's and have never had to fix anything...

Its fine if you don't like modern stuff. Lots of guys only run the old stuff...

3. N2DTS

the Yeasu?
    I think that only works on SSB, not AM.

4. W2VW

W2VW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

SDR is too good not to have.

$20.00 Dongle and free software can make operating much better when the bands are crowded.

Instead of learning lots about hardware the op learns about utility and software.

Bottom line is I'd rather have a QSO with someone who is intelligent with a signal that needs to be dug out of the noise than someone soaked in beer with a big signal.

Not there's anything wrong with BEER but some people react in ways that are sad, every night on the same frequency.

WB2CAU likes this.
  5. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe. If he already has it then it is worth a try.

6. WB2CAU

WB2CAU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmmm, I think I know the group you are referring to. Although, I'm sure it can apply to multitudes of groups on almost any band.

7. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

I get bored, I turn on the boatanchors. I'm eating nothing but static. I turn it all off. It's sad.

8. N2DTS

I have had a Peabury V2, a QS1R, a Flex 1500, 3000, 5000, an Anan, an RF space sdr-iq, and an anan 10E.
    I know nothing about software, other then to download it from the radio sellers web site, or insert the disk that comes with the radio.
    You guys make it sound like you have to program stuff. I guess you can, but you do not need to know anything to get an sdr working.
    Maybe some cheap radios need playing around with, I think the Peabury did if you wanted to use the transmitter, but that was a very limited production radio kit.

What I really like about sdr radios:

See what is around you when you operate, who is on frequency, who is not, how wide you and they are, find holes to call CQ in.
    You can set the bandwidth of the display to see any amount of spectrum you want.

Click on the 80 meter band and you are there, click it again and see another part of the band, click it again and see the CW portion of the band.
    Click 40, click 20, you are there, the radio will change antenna ports if you want, it remembers where you left the vfo, if you want, you just key the mic and talk.

Great audio and filters, brick wall razor edge filters, 10 to 20,000 Hz audio on RX and TX, send a square wave if you want.
    You can move a filter 20 Hz off a STRONG signal and listen to a weak one in the noise and not know the strong signal is there except you can see it on the screen.

No real need for any audio gear, a cheap mic into the radio can sound very good with limiting, EQ, noise gate, downward expander, with the ability to
    adjust the modulation from 100% or less (more carrier) to double sideband no carrier and anyplace in between.

If you use the transmitter part, its one click to record someone, one more click to play them back over the air without any coloring or changes/distortion.

Some do diversity and beam steering, noise cancellation, pure signal, and other cool geek type stuff.

9. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Download the Manual and look at Page 62 regarding setup for AM:

http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cm...02&encProdID=721B3F7D596827E0B37BD528EE1A56F1

Phil

10. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

And most likely you cannot fix it because of the myriad of Surface Mount Components.

Phil