Suggestions for FT-DX3000 AM settings?

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N6YFM, Feb 27, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. WB2CAU

WB2CAU Ham Member QRZ Page

And that used to be the challenge that was a large part of the fun of using the AM mode. Just plain ole operating any mode can become boring after awhile. It was the constant tweaking of the easy-to-access circuitry of the plethora of medium power transmitters that used to be available and cheap. Although still heard at times, the DX-100s, Apaches, Viking Valiants, etc., have seemed to become more of a rarity on the air these days. Nowadays those transmitters are coveted more by collectors who sometimes reverse the hi-fi mods done just a few decades back to make them original. And then they sit quietly in shacks on display.

W2VW likes this.
  2. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Who these days run a carbon mike?

Timtron did a test one night in which he used a carbon mike on a rig for grins. Had he not told us beforehand he was going to switch in a carbon mike, I would not have known it was Timtron as he certainly did not sound like himself with the carbon mike.

In my opinion, the use of a carbon mike by Amelia Earhart was what led to her demise.

"...Flex should at least set the thing up with a low cut at 1000 cycles and a high cut at 6000 cycles,..."

That would sound crappy. Not sure what the point may have been.:confused:

Phil

3. WA3QGD

WA3QGD Ham Member QRZ Page

Not many,however too much in the low end wont cut it on a noisy night,set up as I indicated on a flex 5000 seems to work for a few of the guys trying that configuration,Flying fixed pitch isnt the same as turbine,and expecting a vega driver to run nascar, results in similar carnage on the band as well as the track,as to the Carbon mike sound,Amelias problem may have been of her own lack of skill and poor navigation,we will never know since her navigator was not speaking into the Microphone,just a point of comparison to other microphones if you have no baseline to compare how does one know what is more effective.There are a few that can pull off the full fidelity broadcast quality sound,cleanly and correctly,even they need piss weakers to confirm it,as to who stills runs a carbon microphone,some of the east coast boys with the manpaks and art 13 and bc610s,on a 20db static crashed band i can still copy and understand,to each there own,i am only reporting what gets thru.

4. WB2CAU

WB2CAU Ham Member QRZ Page

A low cut at 1000 cycles? I take it from that remark that you're not really that familiar with the audio spectrum. The most restricted of transmitters has a native response down to 300 cycles. Even a carbon-mic telephone has a response down to 300 cycles.

Besides, unless Flex has changed from earlier versions of PowerSDR, you could conceivably set your own low end limit with the graphic equalizer to anything you wanted anyway, even removing most below 1000 cycles. But if you're removing everything below 1000 cycles, who are you communicating with? Birds? Squirrels? Mice?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    AC0OB likes this.
  5. WA3QGD

WA3QGD Ham Member QRZ Page

as in the previous post guys running old military equipment with a audio footprint in the 1000 to 6000 cycle range,you may disagree with my observation,it does not alter it's accuracy

6. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Flex software has bandwidth limits you can set (not in the EQ).
    You can set the low and high limits to whatever you want, 10 Hz and 20 KHz, or 300 to 3000, just pick the numbers and that is what you get.
    Then you have the choice of a 10 band or 3 band EQ to adjust the sound.

1000 cycles seems kind of high for the low end, and 6000 seems too high, 4000 maybe....
    NASA may use 1000 Hz though, sure sounds crappy...

7. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe so but they still sound like they're talking to "Birds, Squirrels, and Mice."

In fact, I try to avoid QSO's with operators who have a such raspy, shrill, and constricted audio range as it is fatiguing to the ear.

Balance is the key to life! :)

Phil

8. W2VW

W2VW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Many audio response graphs reference to 1000 cycles and that is what I think you are remembering.

Low corner at 1000 cycles would not be intelligible except for a limited range.

9. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

You can get into one of the 3000's menus and open up the transmit audio to around 4KC. Google is your friend.

10. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

My R390 (non A) hears much better than my 6300. My Timtron-Technology Valiant sounds better on AM with the identical audio chain than the 6300 as well. Doesn't mean the 6300 is trash, it just means that tube gear still rules supreme in some areas.