ad: w5yi

Suggestions for a "nice" straight key (under $200)

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N5BCN, Sep 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes and yes! some of you, in the US, more and more oftenly, we do not have a clue how to manage buying from your shop.

....so... know what...?

Oliver

2. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Your particular model looks like a Nye-Viking close clone of my ca. 1945 Signal Electric
    heavy-base key with Navy knob. Yours is beautiful.

Old-style open-frame key, Surplus Sales of Nebraska . $60. In-stock. Model 310-001.
    New-in-box with cord and plug, Nye-Viking, Bellevue Washington

I have no financial interest in any vendor, other than not wanting to see my fellow hams screwed by sharpies on-the-make.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  3. W7HV

W7HV Ham Member QRZ Page

Spark. Heavy and very solid. I put a navy style knob on mine. The fact is, I don't find any consequential difference in sending among the assortment of keys I have. Straight keys are very very simple devices.

W4HAY and WA1GXC like this.
  4. KD2RDG

KD2RDG Ham Member QRZ Page

5. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

I came across this today:
    https://www.skccgroup.com/member_services/club_key/

It's a little over the $200 mark, but not by much. I would have ordered one for myself, except I don't like the knob.

It's been a few years since SKCC did a club key. I missed the last one, which was made by LNR Precision.

W1VKE likes this.
  6. KD1JT

KD1JT Ham Member QRZ Page

two new SKCC keys available now…. Just got the email

7. W5ESE

W5ESE Ham Member QRZ Page

Dang; I would consider a Nye Master Key to be quite a nice straight key.
    I've been a ham 45 years and never had a straight key I would consider that nice. Mostly use an old AMECO AM-K4 (purchased at Radio Shack; it was sold under their Archer label).

WA1GXC likes this.
  8. W4HAY

W4HAY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed about the Nye Viking keys. Their square based model is my daily driver.

Our club used the less expensive Ameco K1 for the Novice CW classes and recommended they move up to the K-4 after they passed the test. I've never understod why they used ball bearings, except as eye candy. If the pivots were overtightened, the balls would dimple the shaft and ruin the key's action. My K4 now resides on my test bench.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    W5ESE, KD2RDG and WA1GXC like this.
  9. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I ruined my Ameco key exactly that way many moons ago. It's hiding in a junk box somewhere, hoping to be repaired.

10. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

$200 for a straight key :)