Suggestion on how to hook-up a condenser

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by KE0EYJ, Jul 3, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
  1. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm running an FTDX3000. I am looking for how to wire my Behringer SB78A for ham. It's a cardioid condenser and needs phantom power from a mixer board to run. Is there a minimalist way to hook this up (without a mixer taking up desk space)?

I am using this SB78A mic into a Behringer UMC202HD USB sound card device when making Zoom videos. It provides the phantom power for me. Problem is, how can I hook that into the Yaesu? Or should I? I have tried this before, and when I do, I get a buzz in the audio from the computer.

Maybe I need a 2nd phantom-powered solution to plug the mic into only when hamming?

I also have a different Behringer xm8500 dynamic, which I have used on the Yaesu, and it works great -- problem is that I'm trying to save desk space, and want to use just one mic for everything (even if it means unplugging it or switching it).

Thoughts?

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You can power the mic with any appropriate power source. Batteries, commercial phantom power device, wallwart, homebrew voltage regulator.

Make up your own interface cable. It's often easier to plug the mic into a rear ACCessory port which has more easily accessible pins broken out.

No need to buy an otherwise unneeded control board.

3. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

Behringer UMC202HD USB:
    Does this output analogue audio outputs at the rear if you enable the "monitor"?
    (or does that just enable the headphone output?)

Frank

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  4. KE0EYJ

It's got 2 1/4" photo outputs in the back (Left/Right). There is a Phone monitor jack on the front as well, with a volume dial, as well as a "Direct monitor" button and another dial which says "Output" just under that. I'm not sure what that Output dial does, as it doesn't seem to have any effect on USB. I imagine it controls the level of output from the photo jacks on the back?

5. G0GSR

I have a much older but similar Edirol UA25.
    When I enable the monitor, it routes the mic pre-amp output to the headphone socket AND the two TRS output sockets.

Its worth checking if yours does the same.
    If it does then you can connect the "L" TRS output via something equivalent to a "W2IHY iBox" to the rafio.

I would think that the "Output" control sets the monitor output level.

Frank

6. KE0EYJ

Thanks... played around a bit and cannot get a signal out of anything, no matter how low I turn the dials, that doesn't peg my meter on the FTDX3000 dangerously. I think I need to look at another option (preferably some kind of in-line option that doesn't add more mess to my desk). I already have a Behringer mixer, but have no desire to have it take up additional desk space.

7. G0GSR

OK, that means that there IS audio output but the "Output" control just adjusts the headphone level maybe.

The output level will be far too high to feed directly into a mic or aux audio input. That's why I suggested the "iBox" of equivalent. That contains a transformer and an adjustable attenuator to adjust from line to mic level.

Any device supplying "line level" output would need similar treatment.

Frank

KE0EYJ likes this.
  8. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not sure if this helps, exactly, but there are no end of phantom power adapters on Amazon in the $20-25 range. XLR in and out. Should work fine.

If you want to roll your own, here's a little project from Shure Bros.

9. G0GSR

Complete with a mistake with the values of R1 and R2!!!!
    Frank

10. K4EM

K4EM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use one of these Nady Phantom supplies when I want to use one of my Condenser mics. Just use a standard XLR cable from mic to 48v supply & I then use a Heil XLR to 8 pin mic connector to the rig. Works great, inexpensive, simple & doesn't take up much room. Amazon has the 48v Phantom supplies too.
    Nady SMPS-1X Phantom Power Supply | Guitar Center

Dave
    k4em