Suggestion of logging a DMR contact in QRZ

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KI4CFS, Dec 23, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. PY2RAF

PY2RAF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Silly operator here then.

I log every contact. Repeater HF simplex C4FM.

Why so?

Good ice breaker on hey xyz been a while since our last qso - or; hey our first contact.

2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, it's really simple. Don't like it? Spin the dial. Don't use DMR, or D-Star, or FT8, or something else that is not fun for YOU.

And I believe he was asking how to log a DMR contact, not whether you approved of it or not. :rolleyes:

KF8IV, N1DQQ, AG5DB and 1 other person like this.
  3. W4NNF

As has been said, you can set the mode to digital voice in the log form. That said, I've had limited success with D-Star contacts with QRZ. Oh, I can log them, but when someone asks for a confirmation, no matter what I do, it's rejected with "time/date (or something else) don't match."

4. W4NNF

He's likely to be having a QSO with a distant or DX station, not some local. I log them for the simple reason that when I work somebody, in, say, Oz, again, I'll be able to see I've worked them before, have notes on the conversation, their interests, etc.

5. W4NNF

Why? It's not likely he's logging Joe Schmoe down the street.

6. W2NAP

W2NAP Ham Member QRZ Page

only way id log a DMR contact is if it was simplex and actual "dx" thanks to tropo.

if someone going to log a internet contact via a repeater you might as well start logging contacts made by posting on qrz or eham or email.

K5ABB and WW4DX like this.
  7. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Posting on an Internet forum doesn't require a license. Using a DMR radio on ham frequencies in simplex mode, thru a repeater, thru an IP connected link to another repeater, etc., all require a ham license. Logging was once the law - regardless of mode or method, if you radiated RF, you needed to log it - even test emissions.

Nothing wrong with logging QSO's. It's especially helpful if you're new and trying to put names to callsigns, or want to keep track of others you have talked to.

OE7SIT, NK8I, N9IJS and 5 others like this.
  8. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I will first say that I don't use QRZ logging but I do use computer logging and LoTW and I will explain a little about logging repeater contacts in both a PC log and for uploading to LoTW. I don't know if QRZ follows the same protocol or not. What I will describe is correct logging for every other purpose that I am aware of.

There are two types of MODES that are used for digital logging. The first one that just about everyone identifies with is the Transmission Mode. Others have correctly advised that the correct transmission mode to use in answer to your question is DMR or Digitalvoice.

To ID your contact has having been made via a repeater you would do that using the PROPAGAION MODE field in a digital log file. Although repeater contacts do not count for any awards purposes that I am aware of, they do have their own Propagation Mode coding in an ADIF file. The recognized Prop Modes in an ADIF log file are:

Prop Mode.jpg

Why would anyone bother to log repeater contacts? If you have a repeater net for training purposes or for a traffic net via repeater you could correctly log the participants if you used the correct Transmission Mode and Propagation Mode codes in your PC log file. You could also upload all of this to LoTW and it would not be a problem. You wouldn't get awards credit for the contacts but it wouldn't cause a problem. This allows you to use one and only one log for all of your operations if they are logged correctly.

Note that there are both Terrestrial Repeater and Internet Assisted prop mode codes.

Here is an example of a properly logged terrestrial repeater contact. Some fields have been removed that my ID my PC, address and other private info.

<Call:5>N8ZWY
    <QSO_Date:8>20190128
    <Time_On:6>190200
    <Band:2>2M
    <Comment:12>Gladwin ARES
    <Cont:2>NA
    <Country:3>USA
    <DXCC:3>291
    <CQz:2>04
    <Freq:9>147.18000
    <N3FJP_Initials:2>SW
    <ITUz:2>08
    <Mode:2>FM
    <N3FJP_ModeContest:2>PH
    <Name:5>David
    <OPERATOR:4>K8BZ
    <Prop_Mode:3>RPT
    <TX_PWR:2>45
    <Pfx:2>N8
    <QSLSCB:2>BL
    <N3FJP_QSLSCB:2>BL
    <QSL_Sent:1>N
    <QSL_Rcvd:1>N
    <N3FJP_SPCNum:2>MI
    <State:2>MI
    <N3FJP_StationID:11>wuelfing-PC
    <LOTW_QSL_SENT:1>Y
    <eor>

PY2RAF likes this.
  9. W2NAP

W2NAP Ham Member QRZ Page

you forget the low end of the 2.4ghz wifi band falls in the 2.4ghz ham band. so my wifi channel 1 is within the 13cm band so I guess i can count that I have worked KV6O on 13cm even though it is through the internet....

10. W4NNF

How are you gonna do simplex on DMR? Have you ever actually used the mode?! :rolleyes: