Suggest 2m/70cm mobile radio for ARES use

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by N6WZQ, Oct 23, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N6WZQ

N6WZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm looking for a 2m/70cm radio to put in an ARES go box.
    I do not need any bands other than 2m/70cm for what I will be using this radio for.
    Since the radio will need to be battery powered at times I would like a low power option of 5 watts instead of 10 watts that I see on some radios.
    The radio also needs to be small footprint since it will be going in a box with other hardwear.

I had been looking at the TYT mini radio or the BTech UV-25x2 but for this radio I think I better stick with one of the big 3 manufacturers since the radio needs to be reliable for emergency comms.

2. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu. If you are serious about the E in ARES, come to the show with serious equipment. I'm losing track of how many guys gripe about intermod or spurious (?) received noise on these low grade radios (they bought) around other RF equipment.

W7TRD likes this.
  3. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ditto! No one promised anyone that amateur radio was, or is, an inexpensive hobby! Cheap Chinese radios are not the stuff of champions, and should never be relied on to work when the going gets tough. So bite the bullet!

KS2G and AI7PM like this.
  4. N6WZQ

Agreed, about not going with a cheap Chinese radio which is why I said I better stick with a radio from one of the big 3. Do either of you have a specific radio suggestion as requested above?

5. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

You may wish to check eham.net for reviews, and here is one idea: I think that the Kenwood dual band radio I liked best was the TM-D700a. Pros: included packet modem, included connector for external as well ( De-9, 'PS/2' keyboard connector ), possibility of SSTV, remote control head. Cons: (minor)- Cost of SSTV interface, DTE/DCE orientation of De-9 port ( gender-mender for PC needed ), knob slippage after extended use ( center knob of concentric - common to other radios ), external GPS for APRS ( NMEA port- was pretty easy- input only contrast to TM-D710a ). Low power mode may be 10W- not memorized. Contender: TM-G707, I believe was similar without AX.25 built-in ( could be done also, just not built-in ). I have no financial interest, that I know of, in Kenwood nor Yaesu. They and Icom have dual-band radios as well. Many like the Icom 5100 series.

N6WZQ likes this.
  6. KB0MNM

Yes, The TM-G707a does support 5W TX. Now I realize that I do have a slight vested interest in this- I have a PG-4S cable for sale, to the gentleman in 4-land who requested one. The DFK-4C ( remote ) cable seemed to be unavailable at one time... That was for the TM-G707a. I built my own remote cables from Category 5 wiring for the TM-D700a. The microphone is a separate issue for that project, yet both are easy if you have RJ-11/21 and RJ-45 crimper dies.

N6WZQ likes this.
  7. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Any of the Kenwood or Icom models, basic to fancy, are a good bet.

8. KD4UPL

KD4UPL Ham Member QRZ Page

If you want a small and basic dual band radio I would get the Yaesu FT-7900. If you don't mind used radios the FT-7800 is basically identical except for the color of the power button. Also on the used market the Icom IC-207 and IC-208 would be good, simple, dual band radios.
    If it has to be new and you want to run both bands at the same time I would get the Icom IC-2730A.

N6WZQ likes this.
  9. N6WZQ

Thank you KB0MNM and KD4UPL for your suggestions. I will look into the radios you suggested.

10. KB0MNM

You are welcome. Regarding Kenwood radios, the TM-V71 line has been around for a while. A friend of mine stated that it was pretty complicated, and that he spent a lot of time looking at the manual instead of operating. Yet he was pretty busy, so I guess your mileage might vary. The V71 line is remembered as being the radio that *had* been installed on the International Space Station, providing both voice and packet ( and, I think, slow-scan video from time to time ). The 'sky command' feature would not be available until later, and was possible with the TM-D700(a). So you have selected features that may or may not be desired, including 'full duplex' repeater use which explain the differences in suggested retail price. For EmComm use, I know that the Icom D5100 line is in use locally- yet I cannot comment on whether or not the D-Star has been used.

KG7LEA likes this.