Sucha a deal

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K1OIK, Jul 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hopefully they'll be some leftover to toss in the oarsmen gruel. It always a bonus on watersports days.

AD5HR, W2AI and WZ7U like this.
  2. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I will have to speak to Dave and Fred about that; also installing central air condition in the oarmens' gallery.:D:p

W4IOA likes this.
  3. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

Air conditioning and lobster for the below decks oarsmen?
    Next thing you know, they'll be wanting to give Techs more
    of the HF spectrum, and special frequencies for automated
    digital message forwarding.

I say just crack the whip, I feel like water skiing.

W4IOA, KP4SX and (deleted member) like this.
  4. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not a Prime member, but almost always get free shipping. Depending on the item, most are free shipping if the order is over either $25 or $35. Since the book costs $47.30, it's automatically free shipping.

For smaller items, I wait and consolidate orders to get free shipping. Or else, I buy items that I know I will need. I'm too cheap to pay shipping, but I'm definitely too cheap to pay an annual fee to get free shipping.

K1OIK likes this.
  5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Now somebody needs to explain (again) why its not really Free.

1 person likes this.
  6. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

It's none of my business, but I'm guessing that the site makes more in ad revenue than it does in subscriptions. For any given member, the site probably makes a lot more money from membership fees than it would in advertising. But overall, I suspect that there's a lot more ad revenue than membership fees.

7. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

^I'm with him^

8. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ya think!

Worthofweb.com reports that the estimated ad revenue from this site is just over $39,000/month. Maybe that's off, but probably not off by too much.

Don't take that the wrong way, 'cause I say good for Fred. He identified a need and filled it and in the process made himself a millionaire. The American Way.

Also remember that out of that he has to pay a couple of folks salaries, server space, etc.

N2EY and WZ7U like this.
  9. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Most "free" items that I take advantage of are paid for by people who aren't quite as good at gaming the system as I am. I hope Amazon makes lots of money, but when I purchase from them, I try to minimize their profit as much as possible, to the point where they occasionally lose money by doing business with me.

I forget whether it was Amazon or Walmart, but I recently received a package that the FedEx driver dutifully left on my doorstep. Inside was one item, namely, a box of cereal that had come from the other side of the continent.

It makes no economic sense whatsoever to send a box of cereal, all by itself, thousands of miles. There is an identical box of cereal in a supermarket a few blocks from my house, and it got there in a very efficient way, by being in a truck with thousands of other boxes of cereal.

Presumably, they had the box of cereal listed on their website because they wanted to make money. But I bought it from them so that the order would go over the threshold for free shipping. So when I decided to buy the box of cereal, the total price of the order went down. But even though they were getting less money from me, they still had to pay for the box of cereal. And, since the box of cereal was in a different warehouse from the other item I purchased, they had to pay to send it to me.

So yes, as far as I'm concerned, that box of cereal was free, and they lost money on me that day. Hopefully, they made money on the other people who decided to buy a box of cereal. And I'm grateful to those people, because they paid for my cereal. It was really good cereal, and it was free.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    WC5P likes this.
  10. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They are getting it out of you on other orders and other ways. The fact that you feel you got it for free will send you shopping with them again :)

N2EY likes this.