ad: SDRKits-1

Sucha a deal

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K1OIK, Jul 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Used to be, U could score a new Handbook by signing up for 3 years at Dayton. I got several of the newer ones that way. I have all the ARRL HANDBOOKS back to the First Edition (VERY RARE and EXPENSIVE) up to about 2014. Then they started to get outrageously expensive and hard to afford. So I am short most of the newer ones for a Complete Collection

2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There was a time when ARRL publications were dirt cheap and they paid the postage. My 1967 Handbook was $4.

That was decades ago. Printing, postage, labor, and everything is much more expensive today....but some folks want the old prices.

That 1967 Handbook was 650 pages (not counting ads) - almost exactly half the page count of the 2020 edition. It had NOTHING about satellites, repeaters, computers, APRS, antenna modeling and many many other subjects. No software included either.

According to the westegg inflation calculator, $4 in 1967 inflates to $31.06 in 2019. So, when all is taken into account, you get a lot more for your money today.

The ARRL Handbook has NEVER been expensive. Try buying some engineering textbooks today...

There is no real need to have every Handbook - they don't change much from year to year. What IS important is to read and understand them. Sadly, a lot of folks don't.

----

For the first several years of its existence, the ARRL Handbook wasn't tied to a calendar year; the book was identified by the edition number. Amateur Radio technology was changing so rapidly that frequent revision was necessary. The typical 1931 amateur station was VERY different from that of 1926.

The 1934 and 1941 Handbooks are online in PDF. Possibly some other years.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

While procrastinating from what I ought to be doing--getting my online courses set up for Fall Semester--I turned on the good ol' Zed and was gobsmacked...this thread is still going?!:eek:

WR2E and N2EY like this.
  4. N2EY

Are you not entertained?

Are....you....not.....entertained?

Is this not why you are here?

5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh, I'm entertained, but I do like a little variety...can't we have a little "Contests and DX exchanges are evil," "FT8 has killed ham radio," and "Why do I see so many IC 7300s for sale" to go with the "ARRL threat menace?" show?:D

N2EY likes this.
  6. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It all started when video killed the radio star............:D

K8XG, EI2JC, WA1GXC and 1 other person like this.
  7. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So, buy from Amazon. Problem solved.

Three other small points:
    (1) As others have pointed out, you must be an Amazon Prime member to get free shipping. So you are paying what, $100, $120 a year in advance towards shipping (amongst other things)? In short, you're not paying for shipping at the time of purchase, but you are paying for it.

(2) Amazon, due to the sheer amount that they are shipping, gets tremendous discounts that smaller shippers with less volume (including but not limited to the ARRL Store) do not and probably will never get. So shipping charges will almost always be less from them.

(3) If memory serves, the ARRL shipping charge is not per item. If you order multiple items at the same time, the shipping charge is pretty much flat. (I'm sure this isn't unlimited, but I don't know offhand where the cutoff is) So this cuts down on the per-item shipping cost.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    N2SR, W4NNF and N2EY like this.
  8. N2EY

But...it didn't.

9. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

It's pedantic, the way the usual suspects operate, but it is predictable. Apparently the practice still generates enough traffic to keep the lights on, so carry on forum Karens and keep Fred in filet mignon.

Not that there is anything wrong with filet mignon, except that now the cruise kitchen director has to scramble to find a replacement dinner course for the fall regatta.

AD5HR and W4IOA like this.
  10. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Eric, the vast majority of QRZ.com revenue is from paid subscribers to the service.
    I would prefer lobster newburg over the filet mignon the next time I'm on the "Chairman's Club" yacht for QRZ.com Lifetime members.:D
    [​IMG]

W4IOA and N2EY like this.