Subaru Forester & ham Radio's

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by 4X5EF, Jun 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N0SGB

N0SGB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm getting noise on receive on my vhf. I put the alternator filter on, made no difference. I think the center console computer is putting out wide band noise and i'm not sure how to silence it. Any ideas?

2. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Why did you do that? Did you have alternator whine to begin with?.

Where did you terminate your Radio's battery power wires, especially the black Negative wire? If you say any place except the chassis is the wrong answer and where you start . If you connected it to the Battery Term Post is just plain old dangerous and puts your radio in a nasty nasty ground loop. Results are exactly what you asked for, noise, noise, noise, and fire danger.

Best practice for radio power is; Positive directly to the Battery Term Post with a Fuse at the point of connection, close as possible to Battery Positive Term Post. Pay attention to routing and do not run with vehicle wiring harnesses. Cross vehicle wiring at right angles.

For the Negative, you want as short as possible. In my vehicle is less than 1-foot terminated to a chassis hard point under a seat where the vehicle supplies you with for Auxiliary loads. This may or may not work for you, and you have to find the best place for chassis termination and is super easy to do. Locate the radio where you want it, and temporarily run the Positive on the outside of car to battery and connect it. With the Negative, you are going to find the spot as close to the radio as possible without suffering excessive voltage loss. Example if radio is under or behind a seat, look for Seat Anchor Bolt, or Chassis hard points. Example the vehicle manufacture will actually have Ground Stud Terminals used for high current loads like heated and power seats. Terminate and test radio by turning on, key up mic on full TX power and check voltage loss. With the extra long wires, you are going to incur some extra losses. Should be 1/2 volt of less. If that does not work, start working you way to engine compartment. Try vehicle dash board hard points. Look closely and you can find where the manufacture used for high current loads like the Infotainment System. As a last resort, take Negative to the engine compartment . Locate the battery Negative Term Post and follow the factory cables. There will be at least one going to the vehicle Chassis or Firewall secured with a Chassis Bolt and Locking hardware. Remove bolt, place your radio Ring Terminal on top of Factory Ring Terminal. Replace bolt and hardware.

Finnish by permanently installing power wires and dressing them in.

3. N0SGB

4. N0SGB

thanks. I'll try to ground it to the seat bolt