Subaru Forester & ham Radio's

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by 4X5EF, Jun 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Inside a vehicle you would use a sealed AGM battery where spills and gassing cannot be tolerated like aircraft. You can use an electronic battery isolator to charge both SLI and house battery. Makes no difference if it is LFP or Pb.

2. W4EAE

W4EAE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Excellent. Thanks for information.

3. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

You are welcome

4. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You might want to check your owner's manual. I drive an '18 Subaru BRZ, and the Owner's manual specifies no two-way radio. A BRZ isn't a Forester, obviously, but you might want to check.

I assume your's is still under warranty?

5. KD5RKO

KD5RKO Ham Member QRZ Page

How can they say no two way radio? A cell phone is 2 way radio.

6. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd have to check the owner's manual for the exact wording, but from memory I think it referred to installed two-way radios. I don't see how they could possibly deny warranty coverage for a hand-held, especially if they never see it.

7. AE0GS

AE0GS Ham Member QRZ Page

What charge controller did you use?

8. W4EAE

9. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When I've toyed with the idea of operating from my '14 Forester...the thing that has held me back from getting another PowerGate (I use them in my shack) is that using one of those, connected to the accessory plug, would result in the transmitter drawing power from the car's electrical system when the car is running.

I'd need to go find a manual to be certain, but I thought the '14 Forester's accessory plugs were only rated for 8A.

I thought most 2m/440 mobile radios drew more than 10A at 50W. Are you running lower power? Do the newer Foresters support greater power draw from the plugs?

(I'd love to find something like a PowerGate that was smart enough that it would charge a battery from a power supply, but only fed battery power to equipment when drawing more than a certain amount of power.)

10. W4EAE

There is an extremely simple solution--the one I employ to be exact. Ignore the 'power out' port on the PowerGate. Just connect supply and charge. Charge the battery from the accessory plug with the PowerGate, and connect the radio(s) directly to the battery. Even if the battery is flat dead, it will never overload the accessory plug (the radios just won't power on).

N3RMC and AE0GS like this.