Subaru Forester & ham Radio's

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by 4X5EF, Jun 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. 4X5EF

4X5EF Ham Member QRZ Page

Hio
    looking for some insight on organizing equipment in Subaru Forester 2019
    recommendations on how / where to setup transceiver front-panels , power connections , and Antenna placements ( ATAS-120a )
    Thanks
    Eli ( 4x5EF )

2. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

I am not expert, but I will give it a go.

In the 2019 Forester, the dash is quite crowded. The only available space appears to be under the climate controls and directly in front of the shifter. Alternatively, a Lido mount could be used to place it to the right of the dash center; but that might be in the way of deployed airbag on the passenger side.

The ATAS could go in a number of places. A lip mount at the top of the rear hatch is an option, as is a fender mount on the hood. A through-hole mount on the side of the car could work, but don't even think about trying to do a through-hole mount on the roof; with the huge sunroof and reinforcements it is way more trouble than it is worth. I would also recommend that wherever you decide to install the ATAS, put it on the driver's side to help prevent damage from roadside limbs and such.

You may not want to go down this road, but I recently adopted a new system for power, and could not be more pleased with it. I have a 20Ah LiFePo battery under the seat with the radio bodies that powers the my FTM-400 and my FT-891. I have a charge controller connected through the 12v accessory plug that charges the battery at 4A when the car is running. I can park and operate all day if I want without the threat of not being able to restart the car.

3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Be sure to check out Alan's website on everything mobile: www.K0BG.com

4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

With that placement you'll definitely know if/when the battery overheats ... or worse.

Considering what's detailed in this link, http://robotsforroboticists.com/lithium-ion-battery-safety/, I'm not convinced keeping a LiFePo battery long term in that environment is a prudent choice.

5. W4EAE

This is definitely good information, but not everyone wants to read a novel, a decent percentage of which does not pertain in any way to what they are trying to accomplish. :)

6. W4EAE

Li-ion and LiFePo are two quite different chemistries. Li-ion (or anything-ion) is definitionally unstable. The article is somewhat suspect in that it does not distinguish significantly between the two. On top of that, Li-ion batteries are found in Teslas, Toyotas, Hondas, Chevrolets, etc. with electric or hybrid drive systems. Add to that that with sitting in any car with a conventional engine, you are basically sitting on a petrol bomb. On a motorcycle, you have it between your legs.

My usage is within the manufacturer's specifications. The only thing which I should avoid doing is charging the battery when temperatures are below 0 degrees C. That is not too hard to avoid in SC. It also sits under the passenger's seat, and I have a passenger about twice a year. (We always take my wife's car when we are together).

Am I crazy? :confused:

7. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

8. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep you maybe crazy or my guess is ignorant because LiFeP04 is a Li-ion battery. Li-ion is just a generic term that encompasses all the Lithium Ion battery chemistries. The most popular are:

Lithium Nickel Cobalt Aluminum Oxide: LiNiCoAlO2 cathode (~9% Co), graphite anode. Short form: NCA or Li-aluminum. These are the bad boys that gives Lithium Ion batteries a bad name and what Tesla uses. They are made by Panasonic and licensed to Tesla. What makes them unstable is they have the highest Specific Energy Density up to 300 wh/Kg

Lithium Manganese Oxide: LiMn2O4 cathode. graphite anode. Short form: LMO or Li-manganese (spinel structure). Not used much anymore and replaced with NMC

Lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt Oxide: LiNiMnCoO2. cathode, graphite anode. Short form: NMC (NCM, CMN, CNM, MNC, MCN similar with different metal combinations) Since 2008. This is what the Nissan Leaf uses an dhas fair Specific Energy Density of around 200 wh/Kg and fairly safe.

Lithium Iron Phosphate: LiFePO4 cathode, graphite anode. Short form: LFP or Li-phosphate. One of the safer Lithium batteries and the only direct replacement compatible with lead acid aka Pb chemistry. Downside is low Specific Energy Density not much better than lead acid. Specific energy is in the range of 70 to 100 wh/Kg. About 1/4 to 1/3 of the other Lithium Ion batteries. That is one reason they are one of the safest lithium ion batteries. Higher the Specific Energy, the more volatile it is. Not a good candidate for traction batteries.

Lithium Cobalt Oxide: LiCoO2 cathode (~60% Co), graphite anode. Short form: LCO or Li-cobalt. Good energy density and used in cell phones, laptops, and tablets. Downside is low C-Rate meaning poor choice for high current operations like traction batteries.

There are a few more out there. Many have come and gone.

9. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

ok, enough about batteries, lets talk Subaru.

my 2014 Outback has no room on the dash, for my TMD710 I mounted the remote head on a board, and stuck that in the compartment that holds CDs on the dash, The xceiver goes under the right seat, it wont stay in the netting on the back of the seat, the Diamond 2m+70cm antenna mounts on the lip of the upper left corner of the rear hatch, The Diamond is a colinear dipole, so doesnt need a good ground. There is no way to get a good ground on a plastic unibody car.

Consider using a trailer hitch mount for your ATAS. Ground that to the frame, according to Alan's instructions.

My 2014 model year vehicle makes birdies, the worst is on 144.390, US National APRS frequency, I am certain that it interferes with reception of weak signals, oh well. My friend has a 2013 Outback, which does not make any birdies, go figure,

scan your deForester to see if it makes birdies on any fre1uency you care about,

oh, and how ever you mount all the parts, be certain they will n0t come loose in any accident, Grisly to think about, better to think ahead than have anything truly awful happen,

10. W4EAE

As to LiFePo being a type of Li-ion battery, I am aware of the fact. Poor word choice on my part led to this confusion.

With the 'am I crazy?' I was referring having the battery in passenger compartment. The theory is lower Specific Energy for the LiFePo means drastically lower possibility of spontaneous ignition, and does not have the off-gassing problems of a Pb battery.