Sub-1mmband, Anyone actually using it?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KD2QQF, Mar 12, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
  1. KD2QQF

KD2QQF Ham Member QRZ Page

Just came across a band plan that noted that we have access to a sub-1mm band in a frequency range of 275gHz to infinity. Anyone actually using those frequencies for anything? I'm hearing conspiracy theory types claim that 25gHz will make your head explode, so 275gHz is way out there.

2. WA9ZZZ

WA9ZZZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There seem to be a few people who use those bands just to see that they can do it. They set up on mountain tops to see what kind of DX they can work. Take a look at WA1ZMS's QRZ bio page for an example of a transceiver that goes as high as 403 GHz.

Looks like a lot of work just to make a couple of contacts, but it also looks like fun. Maybe someday I'll try it.

3. KD2QQF

KD2QQF Ham Member QRZ Page

I was at lunch at work when I found out. Now everyone thinks I'm going to build a satellite dish antenna that cooks people.

KK4CUL likes this.
  4. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

I would think that by now you would know it takes a lot of power to 'cook' anything.
    Like a Micro Wave oven from 600 watts to 1200 watts or so.
    You think a usual Ham set up can run those power ranges at those frequencies?
    I'm not trying to insult you, but do a little thinking and investigation.
    The usual electric cook top runs 1500 to 4000 watts at just 60 hertz.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

KT2B and I made contact on 474 THz. Is that high enough?

That was using two LASERs, at a distance of about 300m. That was also back in about 1980 or something; today it would be way easier because there are so many LASER "toys" available that are battery powered (even the "pointers," which are no bigger than a pen and cost <$20) and electronic detection is easer/less expensive today.:)

I think calling CQ up there won't yield any answers.:p

Pretty much everything above maybe 24 GHz or so (which actually is a pretty popular band, as is 10.3 GHz, during VHF-UHF and microwave contests) is by prearranged schedule between stations who know where to look for each other, where to listen and where to aim. But some impressive distances have been covered by ham experimenters.