Stupid RPi tricks

Discussion in 'RFinderPi - Open Source radio interface based on R' started by W9FTV, Sep 17, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. G8GYW

G8GYW Ham Member QRZ Page

My first OMV file server ran quite happily on a Pi3. I swapped over to a Pi4 as it's faster but TBH I don't see much difference as it backs up when I'm not looking ;).

I use a 2TB external drive that gets its power off the USB port. I don't believe in RAID for file backups as my laptop and server are in different locations and most unlikely to fail at the same time.

2. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I used to use my RPis for several things, but since I picked up a QNAP NAS that supports virtualization, I only use them as a DMR hotspot and I have a cronjob that runs a Python script I wrote that updates my DNS for my home IP address. The DNS update is mainly for home VPN use, though I mostly use RealVNC to just get access to my home PCs.

Plex, music streaming, and other stuff were moved to the QNAP

Other than that, I use them for hobby / building things.

3. G8GYW

I got a fixed IP address from my ISP for my web server and VPN for a one off payment of £5.

4. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My ISP doesn't offer static IPs for residential class service, only for business class service. Basic business class service is three times the price. The ISPs that do offer static IPs usually charge monthly for that IP, so it's not quite as good a deal as you got. For me, a cronjob running every 15 minutes is free, so that is the direction I took.

I host my web servers outside of my home network. I decided to switch to that about five years ago as it limits the attack surface on my home network. I just have to keep my personal software security updated. Then the hosting provider keeps the host and network security updated.

5. G0NMY

G0NMY Ham Member QRZ Page

Lets see I have one running Pi-hole it stops all the adverts on most webpages.
    I have one running Pi-star with a DVMega 70cms hat for my digital comms.
    I have an other running dump1090 and an sdr dongle for ADSB flight tracking,
    I have another with a DigiThin DATV TX.
    And I have 2 that have met their maker and passed over I think they both died of CoreVid xx ;-)

They are reasonably reliable but heatsinks and cool environments help.
    Most of mine are accessed using Putty SSH, no mice or monitors used, they take very little power.
    But then you all know that.
    I do fancy a new 8GB Memory jobby, but I will have to think of a project to utilise such a beast, I mean its quicker than this old laptop I think haha.

Remember sudo apt-get update
    and sudo apt-get upgrade
    Htop sees the processes.
    I'm no expert thats for sure but I do enjoy mucking around with em and seeing how they tick.
    73 Mark G0NMY

K6CLS likes this.
  6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

A UPS is a good idea. A power glitch can scramble things.

You can build your own for very cheap.

G0NMY likes this.
  7. G0NMY

G0NMY Ham Member QRZ Page

I was thinking maybe a NAS But im not sure what size harddrive a pi can access I have a 2TB drive that could be used.
    Hmmm more heatsinks and cables haha.

8. G8GYW

I use these fans, they are whisper quiet and take up little room. They come with a script to turn them on and off at the required temperatures:

https://learn.pimoroni.com/tutorial/sandyj/getting-started-with-fan-shim

Raspberry Pi4 + 2TB HDD + OMV make an awesome file server that consumes little power.

KA9JLM likes this.
  9. KY4GD

KY4GD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I know this an old thread, but Raspberry Pi are/is bigger than ever, so what the heck. Most of these are Zero Ws, the ADS-B reporter is an early Pi1B or whatever they are called. None of these are actual "maker" projects, just easy plug and play uses for a spare Pi. All of them are still running fine though.

Last year, I got a little stir crazy and started looking for simple home automation projects. After pushing the limit of my wife's patience, I started finding things that were just ridiculously unnecessary, and a few involved RPis (and RTLSDRs):

ADS-B reporting to adsbexchange - because you NEED to be able to ask Home Assistant what planes are nearby;

Bazarr, Lidarr, Radarr and Sonarr mapped to Plex;

RTLAMR, to read the smart meter and report realtime usage data to HA;

RTL433 and RTLTCP - it was neat seeing neighbors' tire pressure gauges and the like coming and going, but now this one is only turned on for experiments and tests. Fun is fun, but it can quickly become just plain nosey...

Of course, HA itself runs on a Pi4.

Now building a little GPS time server running Chrony, because who can live with a household that has more than a millisecond of time drift a day?

10. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, thanks for mentioning these. Very interesting! I have a new project... Fun.