Stupid RPi tricks

Discussion in 'RFinderPi - Open Source radio interface based on R' started by W9FTV, Sep 17, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W9FTV

W9FTV Ham Member QRZ Page

I host my own mail server here at Foobar Labs. Why? Mainly because I'm not a huge fan of the ISP or commercial alternatives.

Anyway, my main mail server/workstation died a few months ago due to a bad power supply. It did the spam scanning of incoming email using MailScanner (good stuff, and free). Mail was stored on an isci share from FreeNas and picked up by Dovecot IMAP/POP3 software.
    My RPi (a 2B+) was sitting on the bench unused and had a wild idea. Why not try and use it for my mail server until the new power supply came in?

I took the my backed up config files from the dead box and put them on the Pi with minimal editing, loaded up postfix and dovecot, then got the MailScanner installer from MailScanner.org which scans for both spam and malware. I mounted the iscsi share and fired everything up. It was pretty slow when scanning incoming mail, but it worked! These little guys are considerably more powerful than I'd believed. :D

Post your stupid RPi tricks.

KF5RRF and WR2E like this.
  2. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

tma;dr ;)

3. W9FTV

English?

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I made the led blink. :rolleyes:

KF5RRF, KE4HTS and W9FTV like this.
  5. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

I have not done a lot with the RPi3 because of my limited knowledge of Linux. The only thing that leaves a lot to be desired is playing videos, but that's understandable. They are great little devices considering the cost.

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

7. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Too many acronyms, didn't read.

I'm just translating, BTW. ≤==[oh no, another acronym!]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    KB1NXE, KJ4VTH and W9FTV like this.
  8. W9FTV

It's just more proof that, contrary to my Dad's teachings, you can put 2 quarts of 'stuff' in a one quart jar. :D

WR2E likes this.
  9. AD5MB

AD5MB Ham Member QRZ Page

VA3VF: Kodi for video on RPu

10. KE4HTS

KE4HTS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

me too

W9FTV and KA9JLM like this.