Stupid NOOB question....

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KI7HSB, Oct 14, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
  1. KI7HSB

KI7HSB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm planning my first HAM station and am interested in the Yaesu FTDX1200 for the centerpiece. Looking over the specs and details, I see that this radio includes an RS-232 / CAT port for PC interface via an SCU-17 interface.

Question: What all can I do to/with the radio from the PC through this interface? Software seems to be third party only as well, so recommendations would be appreciated as well...

(PS: O/S that I run on multiple PCs are Win7, Win10 and Ubuntu Linux)

AF7XI likes this.
  2. W1XWX

W1XWX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You can run the digital modes-- PSK31, RTTY, JT65, JT9, FT8 and on and on----- download FLdigi, and WSJT-X both are free. Not familiar enough with that radio but you may also need something like a Rigblaster or Signalink to interface the radio to the computer Some radios like the Icom 7200 and Kenwood 2000 and others have built in sound cards so you do not need any other device --- just a USB cable. 73

3. KI7HSB

Thank you for the reply... Yaesu has their own interface module, SCU-17 made just for their radios, though I don't know how universal any of this is...

Can you control the radio itself as well? The FTDX1200 has a lot of great features on the 3.5" screen like spectral displays and such... Would I be able to record or capture screen shots of waterfall charts and other stuff? Set operating frequency and modes from the PC?

...or is this thing only for feeding PSK31 and other digital format through the PC and onto the broadcast?

4. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

David,
    There are several suites of software out there that not only give you software for the digital modes but can also give you rig control. Personally I use Ham Radio Deluxe on my FT-950. Works like a champ.

5. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have to have an external interface, I'd go with a Signalink USB and an RT Systems CAT cable. SCU-17 is very problematic and a pain to keep working.

6. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

That wasn't a stupid question, by the way!

SA6CKE, WA7PRC and KA9JLM like this.
  7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I would recommend not using Win 10 if you have Win 7 and Linux available.

Have Fun.

8. KI7HSB

That's good to know... Frankly, I was really bewildered when I was reading the user's manual for the radio and all it said about the RS232 connection was that you could interface to a PC using the SCU-17... Not one word anywhere about what all you could do through that connection... just that the connection could be made.

I'll look into Han Radio Deluxe and see what they offer.

Thanks!

9. KI7HSB

Thanks for the tip! The Win10 machine is dedicated to my CAD and CNC systems for my workshop side business and as such, I wanted to keep it clear of any other uses if possible. The Linux machine would be my first pick -IF- I can get the software for that platform.

10. KI7HSB

That's troubling to hear... You would think that the maker of the radio would have the best interface FOR that radio.... I hear nothing but good about the Yaesu line of radios, but I guess they missed the mark on PC interface hardware...

Thanks for the tip!