Stumped: FLDIGI won't start on Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Ham Radio on macOS & iOS' started by NN4RH, Oct 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For unknown reasons, Fldigi no longer starts on my iMac (mid-2011) OSX 10.13.6 when logged in as a user. WSJT-x runs fine, so it's not a problem with the rig or my Signalink.

I was running Fldigi 14.1.08. I tried deleting and reinstalling it, which did not correct the problem. I tried version 14.1.14 with no luck either.

It will run if I log in as administrator, but not if I am logged in as a user. I always run my computers from a user account, not admin.

What happens is that, when I try to start up Fldigi, the icon shows up in the Dock momentarily, then disappears. Like it's starting to start, then changes it's mind.

There was an OS X upgrade recently to 10.13.6 from 10.13.5, I believe about a week or so ago. I did use Fldigi some time after that upgrade, however, so I don't think it is related but am not sure.

I can't find anything in the console logs that I can make any sense of.

Any suggestions, tips? I don't know where to go from here, other than to switch to the admin account whenever I want to run fligi, which would be inconvenient.

Anyone else running Fldigi on a Mac operating under OS X 10.13.6 ?

I guess I am assuming that something got corrupted somehow, something that is not fixed by simply deleting and reinstalling the application. Is there some hidden files associated with fldigi that should be deleted, too?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  2. NN4RH

OK. Panicked too soon. Solution found.

I found a hidden folder in the user folder on the hard drive, named .fldigi

Deleted that folder, now I can start fldigi.

Something must have gotten screwed up that affected the program startup. Deleting that folder forced it to start fresh.

So, never mind ...

3. NN4RH

A little more information, in case it's helpful to someone else in the future.

In the hidden .fldigi folder, in a folder named Debug, there were some files Status.log.txt.#. In those log files, it was saying that "Portaudio is not initialized". Why it thought that, I don't know, but that would account for it trying to start but not making it.

4. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

For what it is worth, this is not a macOS issue and randomly affects people on all platforms that Fldigi supports. The cause and solution is always the same: corrupted preferences. Since you've found the .fldigi folder in the user directory, you're half way to a solution.

In that folder you'll find two files: fldigi.prefs and fldigi_def.xml. Rename each one something like fldigi.prefs.backup and fldigi_def.xml.backup and then try to start Fldigi again. It should pop up with the setup dialog. You'll have to go through the setup routine again, but that is better than having a non-functional Fldigi.

I hope that this helps.

5. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

By chance, would Fldigi store a preference file in the Preferences folder in the Library? If so, trashing that might help ‘cause the program will generate a new one on launch.

6. NN4RH

Thanks, but I already (post #2) just deleted the folder, and reinstalled. The basic setup just takes a minute. Although if I were someone who had tons of macros set up, it would have taken longer. Fortunately, I don't do macros, I just actually converse with people.

No, it's in the Users folder, not Library. And I did delete it, to force it to start over. See post #2, above. Thanks.

7. WV8A

WV8A Ham Member QRZ Page

the .fldigi folder typically should be in MacintoshHD/Users/YOURUSERNAME or, ~/.fldigi
    Another quick tip, to reveal "hidden" or "dot" files or folders within a folder, in List view, do Shift/Command/period.
    Doing this again will toggle back to normal view.
    A long-ago suggestion to recover from fldigi won't start, is, within the .fldigi folder, make a copy of both the fldigi_def.xml and fldigi.prefs files. If the app won't launch, typically deleting one or both of those items and replacing with the saved (and properly re-named) files will usually restore operation, and you won't have to set it up from scratch, or delete anything else in the folder.
    Macros are saved in their own directory within .fldigi, so yes, deleting the entire .fldigi folder make them all go away, unless you've got a backup.

Chuck
    WV8A

8. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Glad you got it working, even if the long way around. Fortunately, it isn't to difficult either way.

WV8A likes this.