ad: M2Ant-1

Stumped at vanity call attempt

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WW0DN, Mar 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N8VW

N8VW Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (aa7bq @ Mar. 22 2002,09:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The process is difficult because the FCC really doesn't give a hoot about amateur radio.  There is no political pressure to provide quality services for amateurs and no money.  What limited automation the FCC has is generalized so that they are able to process applications from dozens of different radio services using the same forms and equipment.  That's why the FCC forms on their web site list so many things that have nothing to do with amateur radio.

The best solution, by far, is to use the services of a VEC.  For ordinary updates and license changes, there is a fee of $6 to use a VEC.  Why use a VEC for $6 when the FCC let's you use their website for free?  The answer is simple: by using a VEC you're supporting the hobby in a unique way.  Your $6 VEC fee goes to pay for computers, electricity and general expenses needed to process FCC applications.  It also pays for the national VEC conference that is held once a year.  It also helps pay for all VEC programs, such as license exams.

[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    That's a LOC [​IMG].  It doesn't make any sense to have multiple systems.  I, for one, think it is very nice that they provide this service for free to the Amateur community.

I had no problem getting an address change through even though I had used the qrz service previously and had to get my FRN password reset. While $6 is cheap, $0 is cheaper then having to figure out that spending $6 gives you ZERO access to modify your callsign because you don't know the password.  

If anyone wants to know how to use the navigate the FCC system you can send me a note...no charge.

2. W2AGN

W2AGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Funny, but literally hundreds of hams DO figure out how to do it! Maybe it is the "Extra Credit" part of the "new" exams. Suggestions:

Check out http://www.vanityhq.com (The Vanity Headquarters Web Site)
    STAY AWAY from W5YI. He is charging you $29.95 for something you can do for just the $12.00 Vanity Fee. He is making money hand over fist taking advantage of his fellow hams.

If you REALLY need it more help, try an ARRL VEC.

It is NOT Rocket Science, nor is it an example of "FCC not caring about Ham Radio" It is simply a process that requires following instructions, which unfortunately, seems a skill lost today.

3. K9DC

K9DC Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kb0iju @ Mar. 10 2002,12:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The only call sign useable in this function comes in a drop-down window. Guess what? No call sign was in the window. I tried everything. Tried typing it in, but it wouldn't accept it. Tried getting a new FRN, but had the same results. Tried registering under the original FRN issued with the issuance of my license, no dice (it wouldn't even let me register under that number)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I sense your frustrations.  Basically, the FCC has already assigned your callsign an FRN. You should have received a letter from them (a very long time ago) with it in it.  That number is the only one associated with your callsign, and is required to make modifications.  

Lost the letter?  You can look it up by doing a callsign search.  Then of course you need a password to access it. If you've never had a password, you'll have to call the FCC Help desk and they will give you one that is valid for 20 minutes - Long enough for you to change it to something else permanently.  THEN you'll be able submit mods to your hearts content.

The system works well, but it is less than intuitively obvious.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

As a previous poster said, Vanity HQ is the place to be. At this point, I think the regulars there have reverse engineered the entire system and know it better than many people at the FCC! True, you will need to have a correct FRN/password combination but that goes for any use of the licensing system. Vanity HQ has lots of information on what not to do and a database of calls that have already been requested but not yet issued so you don't waste your time applying for something another ham is going to get first.

It all goes fairly smoothly. I logged onto the onto the ULS, posted my application, paid by credit card, and was in the queue for my new call in about five minutes. Now, getting the FCC to clear the backlog is another problem but nobody has control of that.

5. K2UL

K2UL Ham Member QRZ Page

The biggest problem hams have with the ULS is the FRN/Password combination. That is because most hams who upgrade do not create their FRN before upgrading, so the VEC does it for you, but you don't know the password. That makes it impossible to do anything in the ULS on line. The answer is NOT to create new FRNs or endlessly try different entries. The answer is to call the FCC help desk and get a password for your FRN. If you don't know what your FRN is, you can find it by searching your callsign right here on QRZ.COM.

After your FRN is set up properly, your vanity application is a snap. There is no reason to pay anyone $29 to do something you can do yourself in ten minutes for free. You just need to do a little homework. I strongly recommend N4MC's Vanity HQ website at http://www.vanityhq.com
    It has a wealth of information and dozens of hams who will help you for free to get your vanity callsign.

Dan K2UL

6. W5KNN

W5KNN QRZ Member QRZ Page

I'll be the first to admit the FCC has not designed the best website in the world for registration but
    it really does work. After the FRN is issued, click on ULS. When you are on the ULS page, the first
    block (if I remember correctly), is the one to click on to enter your callsign. Your FRN will be in the
    appropriate block and you must enter your password which you should have setup earlier. After that,]
    just enter your callsign in the first block and submit it and you are finished. Not really difficult but
    not really and intuitive operations either. Ed, KS5V

7. N5CLM

N5CLM Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KB7TBT @ Mar. 23 2002,12:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You must be using netscape navigator to even have made it that far. as the site does not support IE.

ULS = Useless system[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    no. i did a change of address using ULS about two weeks ago with IE ... if you follow the directions, it works the first time.

that said, i find the FRN/password a bit convoluted for my single little callsign.

looking at it on the whole, though, ULS is necessary to deal with the amount of traffic the fcc must surely deal with. i had a change of address done within only a few hours (from submission - which only took a few minutes, even with the FRN registration - to completion) imagine how much time and paper is saved as it stands, and how much smoother it will be as the system evolves.

8. K2WH

K2WH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kf6foe @ Mar. 22 2002,10:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I too, tried to submit an application,,gave up after
    several attempts, w5yi was a big help,,,,,$29.95
    if you have complaints, email the fcc at:
    syscomments@fcc.gov    subject: ULS

Kf6foe[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Wrote a long article on QRZ.COM about this subject.  It was good reading.  I had the same problem and decided to go the W5YI route.  Takes about 18 days.  No problems with them.  If you have the $ 29 bucks, it saves alot of headache and valuable time.

K2WH

9. KG4RXT

KG4RXT Guest

As weird as I am, granted, I'm a little on the strange side, I actually use the FCC's ULS site for all my callsign lookups.

I appreciate the services that QRZ.com and other online database sites offer, but for me (waiting on my vanity call), I'd rather see the update on the FCC's site.

Once you get the hang of it, ULS isn't bad - I've had no problems with it (with the exception of downloading the JAVA - took over an hour just to download on a dial-up).

I registered about a week ago, so I should be golden in about a year, knowing the FCC's backlog! [​IMG]

Adios!
    --Grayson
    KG4RXT

10. KC9BCY

KC9BCY Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a similar experiance, however, just wanted to change some simple information i didn't feel the world should have, like my street address, and full name, so i decided to get rid of that and use a p.o. box, but besides that there was a mistake i had to correct, and requred them to basically give me a new FRN... after about 2 calls to, and 1 callback from the Helpdesk, i was able to get the FRN problem corrected, then, i had them transfer my callsign over to that frn... after that, another call to de-activate the old FRN, required an email to be sent anyway... so i was instructed to do that....

however, i hadn't got to the forms yet, now i had my new frn, but, my license still had my old address listed, and some other stuff... so, after trying to file about 6 times, getting booted off the internet, and about 4 browser crashes...  i decided to stop using netscape, and try out IE, of course that worked, but only after 2 hours of downloading the java, (don't understand why it couldn't use the perfectly good copy i already had)  now i have two java's.... anyway, Opera wouldn't even work for that, but i think i figured out why.  Now that IE was on the task, it finally got the form filed for me... however, there were still unfinished, and half finished filings on the database... from my previous attempts.

after removing them, and the correct filing in the process, i finally had to do it again... Great practice for being a VE someday! [​IMG]

all went well, considering

73's & 88's
    de Ted

11. K1ZC

K1ZC Ham Member QRZ Page

You get your license changed when you become Extra for the simple reason that you can. An Extra class ham can use any authorized combination (1X2, 2X3, etc.) that is available and there is no requirement to change; you will see some with that keep their original call.

Some calls are just fun (K9DOG for example), others sound better in CW or voice pile-ups, some people just like their initials on the call, some adopt the call of a deceased friend as a tribute. Just one more way to have fun with ham radio.

12. KA5THY

KA5THY Ham Member QRZ Page

I must be the only ham in the world that breezed right through my process of acquiring my vanity call.... although it was several years ago I had no problems at all and on top of everything else was issued my very first choice. Also to add to that I used Internet Explorer!!!! INTERESTING! Sorry you had such troubles!

73 de ka5thy

13. Guest

Guest Guest

I always wanted to get the vanity call WA6AW since I learned about call signs I might apply for one someday! [​IMG]

14. kd5rtw

kd5rtw Ham Member QRZ Page

The FCC Site has confused me since I took the Techician test. I waited a week plus then went to the FCC site and have never yet figured out how to find an amateur call sign, new or old. Most of the time when I ask for a page I get a blank page with the notation "done" and when trying to refresh, nothing will come up. Perhaps it is my browser, but nothing seems to work for me.

kd5rtw

15. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (w8tvi @ Mar. 23 2002,20:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I got my call by just mailing in the forms.

Noel
    W8TVI[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Hmmm, I wonder wut made U decide on the call you now have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.