Stumbled into something...am I going to jail???

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KO4HFX, May 4, 2021 at 5:00 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No, you shouldn't be worried. I'm not sure if you're putting us on or not, OM, but unless you've done something else, the van is not after you. Here are the facts:

1. In the U.S. it is only forbidden to work hams whose countries do not allow contacts with us. There have been very few such nations over the years.

2. Amateur radio in Cuba has a long history. You can work Cuban stations any day of the week and have a nice ragchew. Many are club stations, but many are just normal hams.

3. I would guess the confusion on your part is due to a busted call.

;)

2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That hasn't been my experience with the Cubans. They don't talk politics on the air...but NEITHER DO I. ;)

WA9SVD, KA4DPO and N8RKD like this.
  3. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I usually don't worry about such things until the black helicopters start appearing. . .

WN1MB likes this.
  4. N1FM

N1FM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats on working Cuba; lots of excellent ops there. No worries. Bring donuts and coffee to the black van. It's probably just a PI spying on someone's husband.

WA9SVD, K8XG and KA4DPO like this.
  5. W9JEF

W9JEF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

“We don't got to join no stinkin' QRZ.com!” :p ;) :D :eek:

Jim . . . . . . . . . EARTH: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

6. KO4HFX

KO4HFX Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks guys. My post is mostly jest. I don't have enough experience at this point to know what is a rare or unusual contact. Cube surprised me but being on 17 meters surprised me as much. Hasn't been any real DX on that band that I have noticed. I know I need to set up my log and bio. Don't have much of a ham radio bio to put in there at this time. If I end up on the southern end of Cuba, maybe they will let me have my radio...

N1VAU likes this.
  7. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page

That's it!

I am reporting you for discussing politics on QRZ!:rolleyes:

8. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

This IS being added to your permanent record file...

9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Some countries may (still?) prohibit their hams from contacting hams in certain other countries, but none involve the U.S. licensed hams. What MAY be a somewhat sticky point is if "third party" communications are involved between a U.S. station and a DX station.

10. W4KYR

W4KYR Ham Member QRZ Page