Stumbled into something...am I going to jail???

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KO4HFX, May 4, 2021 at 5:00 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Their government probably doesn’t want them engaging in any “conversation” except maybe about radio equipment. Frankly I am glad to forego “conversation” on the ham bands as it is uninteresting to me.

K2XT, VK4HAT and K0UO like this.
  2. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Cuba? I log a Cuban call sign just about every day.

Now, if I logged an HM call sign or a P5-P9 call sign, THIS:

kim-yo-jong-1.jpg

is who I'd start worrying about!

K0UO, KA2CZU and K8BZ like this.
  3. KD1JT

KD1JT Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in the 90s when the bands were good I worked CW mobile during my long commute. Early morning 40m gray line prop got me into Cuba on a regular basis.

4. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

wow..... hard times have even hit Monopoly! The normal Pass Go payment used to be $200 :D

WA9SVD and N2UHC like this.
  5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh NO! You are not going to jail, you are going directly to... He**?:confused::rolleyes:

Seriously,:rolleyes:
    There is no current restriction on U.S. hams contacting other licensed hams ANYWHERE in the world. (Whether there are some restrictions placed on the foreign ham is THAT ham's responsibility.) While not true restrictions, only Yemen and North Korea currently do not have (or allow) amateur operations. They simply do not currently issue licenses, (and licenses that may have been issued previously are apparently no longer valid, but that is by THEIR decision.)

It IS certainly possible that hams in some countries keep contacts short, as they probably don't want to (or can't) get involved in "political" debates or "discussions," whether or not their transmissions are actually monitored, or not. But you have nothing to fear, (even though, as we all know, the :eek:NSA is listening.:rolleyes::p) Just stick to non-controversial subjects and you should be fine.

6. WA9SVD

Emphasis on "might?":rolleyes:

WN1MB likes this.
  7. WA9SVD

Not sure how things are NOW, but back in the late 60's (talk about OLD times) I worked a Cuban station on 6 Meters (15 Watts DC INPUT at that time, probably 7-8 Watts out) from the Chicago area, and he sent a QSL card before my ink was dry on a return card! (That was actually DX even by most HF standards!)

N1VAU likes this.
  8. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The black van is no problem unless it's from the local funeral home and is being circled by buzzards. But if this van moves in next door, then prepare to deal with grow light QRN.

[​IMG]

KA4DPO and K0UO like this.
  9. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't worry about it/ I have even operated from Cuba.
    Have working DX
    K0UO/V31KW

10. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember getting QSLs and trinkets in the mail from foreign broadcasters as a kid back in the 60s.
    The postman seemed real friendly to the other households, but not so much to ours!