Stumbled into something...am I going to jail???

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KO4HFX, May 4, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Left-3
  1. KO4HFX

KO4HFX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

New ham here, only been on the air for about a month. I am having a ball making contacts all over the place. Seems to be a pipeline from my antenna to Italy. Even had a couple contacts in Hungary. Well, about 7:30 p.m. today I was minding my business and just trolling 20 and 40 meters and decided to check out the 17 meter band. Heard a couple weak fading signals earlier this afternoon. There was one signal fading in and out calling CQ. I listened for a few minutes and he finally hit a decent 3/4 by 7ish signal and I answered. We connected and exchanged signal reports and he said 73 and was gone.

I ran his call sign on QRZ and, unless I totally screwed up his call sign, the guy was/is in Cuba--even has his picture. I don't know what to make of it. Apparently, Cuban citizens can have ham radios with a lot of restrictions which would explain his not engaging in any chit chat. Going by his call sign, he holds a first-class license equivelent to our extra license. Is this something kinda special? A friend said I should log it on QRZ but I don't know how/where to do that. I'm sure it is a coincidence, but there has been a black van with dark tented windows parked in front of my house since about two hours after the contact... Should I be worried???

W4KJG likes this.
  2. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

There are many things in life to be worried of.

Working stations in Cuba? Not one of them.

You could always knock on the window and offer them a cold beverage or a cup of coffee...

K2WH, KE5FIX, W7EDC and 6 others like this.
  3. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Interestingly, the commies never put very many restrictions on hams in their countries, other than, in general, having very high licensing standards.

Back in the day, you could always spot Cubans by their chirpy CW signals. It was always exciting when they came up to the novice bands to work some newbies.

WD4ELG, K0UO, N8ZL and 5 others like this.
  4. AB2YC

AB2YC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've worked a few dx stations where it was pretty much just swapping signal reports.

That's how some do it, not everyone wants to hold a conversation.

ZL3PIE, W7EDC, KB2SMS and 1 other person like this.
  5. N3AB

N3AB Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing to worry about. Cuba is an easy country to work. Their hams are making contacts just to enjoy the hobby and have some fun. No different than you or me.

KE5FIX, W7EDC, KF5KWO and 9 others like this.
  6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

You're definitely under surveillance. Expect your power and comm lines to be cut. Time to grab the bug out bag and hit the escape tunnel before the SWAT teams arrive to launch gas canisters and percussion grenades through your windows.

Oh yeah - CALL CHLOE O'BRIEN!

KC0KEK, PU2OZT, K8XG and 9 others like this.
  7. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Do not pass GO, do not collect $100! :D

KD2ACO likes this.
  8. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Working Cuba is fine, have a beer and don't worry about it. If the black van doesn't leave soon, sneak out and ice pick their tires.:)

KD2ACO and KI4ZUQ like this.
  9. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, don't drop the soap.

W1BR, KM1H, K8BZ and 1 other person like this.
  10. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Chloe is not amused.

upload_2021-5-3_22-17-24.jpeg
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(But then again, she is seldom amused.)

PU2OZT, K0UO and W9FL like this.