Studying General

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KB3SKU, Mar 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC2URU

KC2URU Ham Member QRZ Page

Good luck studying for and taking the test for General. I know you can do it. I do not have a math background and I just aced my test.

I studied for two weeks and also thought that the math was going to trip me up but there are only a few questions on any particular phase of the information so that makes the entire experience a bit less daunting, mathematically.

I bought the book and studied online. I have spoken many times since I passed my exam and never thought once to say "AG" even though it is one of the test answers! The thrill of passing the General, in my opinion, is that I will be able to transmit over a greater span of frequencies!

2. KB3SKU

KB3SKU Ham Member QRZ Page

if i remember correctly the AG part is when ya just pass the test and the same day ya go home and ya go on HF,it's temporary till your license is updated at the ULS Database with General instead of it showing as Technician.Then once its updated ya can drop the "stroke AG" i think.

3. KG6WTA

KG6WTA Ham Member QRZ Page

My General test had only one question involving math on it. Not to get your hopes up, you should still study, but chances are there will not be too many math questions.

Dave

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  4. KB3SKU

no worries ill study :)

5. K2QI

K2QI Ham Member QRZ Page

If you think the general is tough, you should see the element 4 questions...

:D:D:D

6. KB3SKU

i did,ugg!! :) :D

7. N0LW

N0LW Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep studying and reviewing the material. You can do it!! There will only be a few math questions on the exam, and I know that you can get them correct.

Keep working your way through those formulas until they make since. Don't give up!

8. K2QI

K2QI Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL... don't worry though. If you can pass the tech, then you can pass the general. If you can pass the general, then you can pass the extra.

As you also delve further into the hobby, you'll learn alot more which will help. I upgraded to General a month after my tech, but waited longer to take my extra and I'm glad I did. When I first looked at the extra questions after first being licensed as a tech, I thought to myself that I'll never be able to understand what was written. But you know what? After several months of non-stop reading, talking to others, and simply experimenting, the stuff they asked me in the extra exam actually made sense. :eek::D

9. KB3SKU

hehe i understand,i need to get some books and stuff,but first i want to get me a HF radio so i can listen and learn how they talk and operate in HF plus i want to take advantage of my Technician privileges like CW,going to try to learn CW :) . if i get a HF it will give me a incentive/push even more to get my General.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  10. KG6WTA

KG6WTA Ham Member QRZ Page

I completely agree. I bought the ARRL General booklet and read that cover to cover until my eyes crossed. Studied the test pool in the back of the book daily. Took the General test after 3 weeks of 1 hour a day study.
    Have had my General now for about a month with a new 897D to go with it. Have made contacts on HF, etc. I just went back through the entire General test question pool this morning and and the info is so much more clear now.
    Am looking forward to the Extra exam in a few months.

Take care,
    Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.