ad: elecraft

Study predicts next phase of solar cycle will bring on 'Mini Ice Age' as early as 2020

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by NC8X, Jan 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Everything we ever wanted to know about the weather in Greenland. :) Oh, then there's plate tectonics, so how do you establish what a normal temperature would have been for Greenland? Is the weather changing or was Greenland moving? Most likely it's both. It's all a guess.

2. N4AAB

N4AAB Ham Member QRZ Page

No silly. It shows pollen tossed around by the jet stream.

And before the Little Ice Age, south end of Greenland was green. During it, the ice closed in and the Northmen who were there starved. They could have asked the North Greenlanders for help, but they considered them to be savages.

3. N2SUB

Understood, but the deeper you go, the further South Greenland was positioned, so basing the climate history of Greenland on core samples is like trying to nail jello to a wall. Sure, world events like major volcanos or meteor strikes. A correlation of temperature vs position of the continent vs time seems like a guess to me.

4. N4AAB

I've just watched reports they were doing it. I presume they took continental drift into account.

N2SUB likes this.
  5. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thousands of years of weather inferences. Data is taken by a guy with a clipboard, looking at a thermometer, or automatic equivalent.

6. N2SUB

I guess they might have. :)

7. AA8NN

AA8NN Ham Member QRZ Page

We need to build a time machine and go back to ask the ancient folks why their cities ended up under water. They didn't have cars, planes, factories and huge populations pouring greenhouse gases in the air. Maybe we should except the fact that mother nature is going to do unpredictable things.

K3XR likes this.
  8. N4AAB

Some of them wound up that way due to the end of the last ice age, and the oceans rose 500 feet. Thats why city ruiins are found on the close to shore continental shelves around the world. What is now the Mediterranean Sea used to be dry land. Also why there are ruins in there.