ad: AbAuRe-1

Study Guides????

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KF7NWI, Dec 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KB1WHW

KB1WHW Guest

Hi this is KB1WHW the best book for the ham radio exam by from Gordon west WB6NOA you can find the book from W5YI Group

2. N4AAB

N4AAB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There is a Dummies Guide to Ham Radio, but it doesn't help with the tests.

The ARRL guides I bought from their website helped me. I should have studied harder for the General class, but I did pass the Technician. I'll get my call in a week or so.

I didn't find the ARRL guides to be very technical, but I did go through US Navy electronics tech school which was very technical.

3. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

OK, for a short time, only. I have posted the class materials I use in my Tech classes (and also an older General Class) at this URL:
    https://drive.google.com/?usp=chrome_app#folders/0B5MX-4lhbqSZekdpZWhWbmtVbEk The 'P' files are Powerpoints. There are also study guides I have gleaned from other sources. There's 600 MB of resources here, so downloding them will take a while.

The main Tech class started out as one used by AA3RR club, and I've edited and added other materials from older courses we use. I edit it every time I use it, and I keep finding little typos and other issues, some of which I may have added. The class does not teach to the test - it covers the License Manual material. The study guides came from the Ham Instructor Yahoo Group and some others. Those concentrate on the test questions, and there are several of them. I also included a bunch of videos I like to use in the class. There's also a neat simulator that runs under Xcel called sincos.

Feel free to download them and use them for your own purposes. Please give credit to the authors, though. I've actually got all of that stuff on my smartphone, so I can look it over when I need to, and that serves as a backup for it.

4. N4AAB

Requires a Google login to view.

edit: I got them downloaded. I just had to remember a password i haven't used in a while. :)

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  5. N4AAB

Would it be okay if I hosted them on my site linked in my .signature ? I'll zip them and put them on one page with your name/Call sign on the page.

6. MATTANDERSON713

MATTANDERSON713 QRZ Member

I am a Huge fan of HAM TEST ONLINE!! I studied for about 13 hours and took my exam today and passed with 32 out of 35!!! I like the site because its just not about the memorization, there are tabs below that teach you about the questions that are asked on the exam. Now I just have to wait for my call sign I hope it comes soon!!!!

7. KF9HA

KF9HA Ham Member QRZ Page

I was using those power points, but they have been taken down. I used them to get my Tech & General last month. Gave Extra a shot and got 50% (but didn't study that much)
    I was about halfway through the Extra power points and now they are gone!
    Did you happen to save those to your hard drive??
    or have a new link?

8. ILDARIN

ILDARIN QRZ Member

I used the Gordon West Books and _lots_ of practice exams on QRZ; scored 97/100/98 on the exams.
    Passing the exams was the goal; I'm reading some texts now to get a bit more theory.
    After that, only practical experience will help...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.