Strong M7.8 from Alaska disrupts shortwave radio

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VE7DXW, Jul 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KC8UD

KC8UD Ham Member QRZ Page

A few points...
    1. Speaking of Dutchsinse, according to him we are likely to have a magnitude 6.0 or greater quake in Idaho within the next 5 or 6 days. Get the detectors ready.
    2. It's difficult to prove a scientific point without data and just about as difficult with data. What data do you collect? How do you collect it? How much data should be collected (this is the hot one)?
    3. The amount of data and repeatability is important. For instance - the book by Al gore "An Inconvenient Truth" has lots of data, graphs, charts and so forth. Seems very scientific. But it was proven to be very unscientific as much of the data was cherry picked. Had they included ALL the data in context the book would have proven the opposite point they were trying to make.

K7YB, AD5ZA, KR3DX and 2 others like this.
  2. K4AGO

K4AGO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

3. K4AGO

Pizotechtonics ?

KF0G and VE7DXW like this.
  4. K4AGO

I think you may be missing the key word..... CRYSTAL Techtonic plates are not crystals.

KA4DPO likes this.
  5. KB0PQP

KB0PQP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Let me pose a hypotheses. The earths magnetic field is generated by molten and semi-molten iron below the earths crust. What if large movements in the iron rich crust could cause perturbations in the field strength that should act to modulate the polar electrojet ?

I don't think that one graph is enough to prove or disprove anything and my opinion is that earthquakes don't change the ionosphere but that doesn't stop me from posing a hypothesis.

Tyler
    KB0PQP

VE7DXW likes this.
  6. VE3VXO

VE3VXO Ham Member QRZ Page

But the rock does contain many crystals and piezo and ferro-electric effects going on down there would not be unexpected. My only point was to illustrate how implausible it is that charges generated down there could ever live long enough to diffuse to the surface and affect the ionosphere. If there is a connection between seismic activity and radio propagation then diffusion of charges from fractured rock is pretty unlikely to be the explanation for it.

K4AGO likes this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Note--

If the ionosphere was disturbed at HF by these earthquakes, then how can the ionosphere ---as you state is in the data-- be disturbed before the eruption of earthquakes?

Does the ionosphere produce earthquakes, or do earthquakes produce ionospheric HF disturbances?

Which of the two is shown by your data analysis?

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    KR3DX and N3FAA like this.
  8. VE7DXW

VE7DXW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

But if you sign up for the group we have 4 years of data now and we post everyday a report how quakes effect propagation. We see more than 80 % of the quakes worldwide. One graph is not conclusive, but there are quakes everyday and they really tell the story!

https://groups.io/g/MDSRadio

W1TRY likes this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

These produce HF disturbances?

[​IMG]

N3FAA likes this.
  10. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well...my biggest issue that I presented in the May thread, which still has not been answered to any sort of reasonable satisfaction, has nothing to do with pseudoscience, nothing to do with possibilities at all. It wasn't even a theory. The OP outright asserted that long path propagation from the west coast US to Europe, at a time when long path propagation apparently doesn't occur, was created by the earthquakes. All of the actual evidence (you could easily see using PSKReporter, which paths were being taken) completely debunked his assertion. It was an outright lie, using their "evidence," that was asserted as unquestionable truth.

There is absolutely no evidence for any of the assertions they are making; none at all, yet here it is once again presented on QRZ as news. I promise you, QRZ Founder and Moderators, there is nothing newsworthy about this.

K2NCC, KR3DX, WA1GXC and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.