Strong M7.8 from Alaska disrupts shortwave radio

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VE7DXW, Jul 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: abrind-2
  1. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Frank Zappa said the most powerful force in the universe was stupidity. But now I think he missed the mark. The most powerful force in the internet connected universe today is confirmation bias.

For example, someone who fervently believes in hydro chloroquine will scour the news and the internet and drink in the the few quacks, soothsayers, and anecdotes which favor it, while steadfastly and often belligerently dismissing the overwhelming trial proof and medical experience which demonstrates that it has little if any benefit, and serious side effects.

Oh, there are lots more examples. Fluoridation, vaccination, 5G, demons, aliens... - why, one of the recently touted hydro chloroquine doctors has claimed that alien DNA has been used in medicine, that demons have sex with women causing reproductive disease and financial trouble, and that vaccines are being developed to prevent people from becoming religious.

Confirmation bias combined with stupidity is a really potent combination. I think Zappa would have agreed.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    N0TLD, K2NCC, VK4HAT and 2 others like this.
  2. N1IPU

N1IPU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

8600 hours flying, never saw one. Have seen posters who relate to to others as whack jobs to cover for their own foibles though.

3. N1IPU

N1IPU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Again you equate my defense of free exchange of ideas to a full belief in a given subject. I was pointing out how "True Believers" in the system will defend against any person who seeks to question the approved narrative.
    True believers are the most dangerous people in any system as they have enabled the worst atrocity's in history. When the time comes that they are exposed they will readily join whatever system replaces it while crying ignorance to the old one. Lowest form of animals on earth.

1 person likes this.
  4. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For some this alleged cutting edge earthquake prediction tool concept has become a religion of sorts, maybe like anthropogenic climate change?! Our culture has lost the ability to develop simple common sense and critical thinking.

KR3DX and WR2E like this.
  5. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I wasn’t addressing your opinion about free exchange of ideas.

6. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Not lost the ability, purposefully rejecting it. IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.