Strong M7.8 from Alaska disrupts shortwave radio

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VE7DXW, Jul 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you.

I respectfully, again, request that you re-post my deleted (by Zed) May posting on the video detailing the " Carl Sagan Baloney detector". Posting it here will give a basis for understanding the scientific process and the way its vets.

Thanks again.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    N3FAA likes this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Please just post it here if you wish.

The other thread was expunged of a boatload of angry bickering. Please let's just not have all that again.

Dave
    W7UUU

K7YB, K4AGO and KK4NSF like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I will be happy to re-post it.

There is a second issue, which I will not discuss here, about the moderator process and the need to internally archive 'expunged' posts. If you wish to discuss that offline, no problem.

N3FAA and KR3DX like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is a useful video on the 'baloney detector test.'

The 'test' was first described more than 25 years ago in the Sagan book: "Demon Haunted World".

The baloney test is important because it shows the layman the thought and vetting processes that scientists use, at least in part, in vetting claims and hypotheses.

VK4EME, KB7GL, AC1BZ and 7 others like this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Let's discuss moderation via PM please

Dave
    W7UUU

N5XKG, K4AGO and W1YW like this.
  6. KF0G

KF0G Ham Member QRZ Page

Skeptic guy has an invisible floating dragon all over his tie,
    CORONA VIRUS

Seismo-electromagnetics
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[​IMG]
    This article needs to be updated. Please update this article to reflect recent events or newly available information. (December 2016)
    Seismo-electromagnetics are various electro-magnetic phenomena believed to be generated by tectonic forces acting on the earth's crust, and possibly associated with seismic activity such as earthquakes and volcanoes. Study of these has been prompted by the prospect they might be generated by the increased stress leading up to an earthquake, and might thereby provide a basis for short-term earthquake prediction. However, despite many studies, no form of seismo-electromagnetics has been shown to be effective for earthquake prediction. A key problem is that earthquakes themselves produce relatively weak electromagnetic phenomena, and the effects from any precursory phenomena are likely to be too weak to measure. Close monitoring of the Parkfield earthquake revealed no significant pre-seismic electromagnetic effects. However, some researchers remain optimistic, and searches for seismo-electromagnetic earthquake precursors continue.[citation needed]

Satellite observations[edit]
    The "Detection of Electro-Magnetic Emissions Transmitted from Earthquake Regions" satellite, constructed by CNES, has made observations which show strong correlations between certain types of low frequency electromagnetic activity and the most seismically active zones on the Earth, and have shown a sharp signal in the ionospheric electron density and temperature near southern Japan seven days before a 7.1 magnitude earthquake occurred there (on August 29 and September 5, 2004, respectively).[38]

and lastly, why was Jeffrey Epstein so interested in investing in and controlling the worlds theoretical physicists ?
    Did they produce everything our modern economy is based on ?

111 11 (73 in binary)

VE7DXW likes this.
  7. KX4O

KX4O Ham Member QRZ Page

I subscribed to Alex's mail list to get regular postings, because it's interesting to me. It's a bit difficult to see the correlations on his graphs, but I do appreciate the fact data to correlate exists in some fashion. Perhaps I need to dig a little deeper into their web site to find the raw data archive to process my own way just to see if I can more clearly see the alleged correlations. That may take time, but in the meantime, may Alex and his group continue to gather data... because data good.

K7YB, AC1BZ, VE7DXW and 1 other person like this.
  8. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I think "Demon Haunted World" should be required reading for all High School Students.... especially the chapter on how pseudo-science is politcized to justify draconian rules and laws, persuade people to believe things that aren't true, and rake in tons of money. At the same time, the book also points out that the same tactics can ( and often are ) used to discredit unpopular or potentially disruptive research, even if it is legitimate.

I agree with AA7BQ and W7UUU that debating a subject on it's merits and discussing our thoughts are just fine, but verbally attacking a person because they disagree with you is not warranted.

W0FS, KR3DX and WZ7U like this.
  9. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

There are an average of 100 earthquakes per day in Alaska.

Likewise, there are changes in propagation nearly constantly, certainly many times each day.

Correlation is not causation. And here, I'd be hard pressed to even agree there's even any correlation. It is certainly fun to think about though.

AC1BZ, NE3J, W0FS and 8 others like this.
  10. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I read some time ago that earthquakes can definitely produce electromagnetic effects. Many people have reported lightning and Saint Elmo's fire both just before, and during earthquakes. It stands to reason that if a large enough land mass is involved, it might have an effect on the earths geomagnetic field.

I'm not sure how that might effect propagation other than possibly disrupting the D region somehow. Surely there must be a few physicists who can answer that question.

Trying to stay on topic here.

VE7DXW likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.