Strange Story of DC's Lost AM Radio Station Still Transmitting Road Closures From 2013

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Mar 6, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
  1. K0DD

K0DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh I do believe I figured it out it was an Adcock Antenna for a Low Frequency Radio Range.... Circa 30's 40's It was a 4 sided, I did see photos of systems that were still erected. They had a weird concrete base ... All of these things, One tower in each town was within spitting distance of the towns' airports.

2. VK5OHR

VK5OHR Ham Member QRZ Page

"C'mon man, I was listening to that!"

[​IMG]
    ... down the memory hole ...

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    KR3DX likes this.
  3. KL7IBV

KL7IBV Ham Member QRZ Page

Well. I guess it's a good thing that there are no people over the age of 50 that are alive anymore.

4. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

This topic piqued my interest, so I tuned around from my home QTH near Tampa Bay to see what I could hear. Quite prominent was this signal on 1650 kHz (audio clip), which identifies as WQVF594 a FL-DOT HAR station.

Searching the FCC ULS on WQVF594 turned up an interesting fact - the license for it has been TERMINATED since 2016 o_O

Browsing for more info I found that this is known to others that explore and log such activity.

"Calls noted changed in the opening compu-male ID as WQVF594 (defunct calls once assigned to the 1630 kHz WQQJ297 FDoT, I-75 near Exit 279, near Wesley Chapel transmitter (see entry)."

Searching the FCC ULS for WQQJ297 reveals an ACTIVE license, good until 2023, with two possible locations. (Sometimes a second signal can be heard on 1650 kHz under the one ID'ing as WQVF594.)

So, this transmission I am hearing on 1650 kHz may be coming from a different HAR location, but MISIDENTIFIED by the voice loop as the old terminated call sign. Perhaps using old equipment from the former spot?

In a new era where the FCC shall collect application fee's for Part 97 ARS licenses, a reasonable expectation would be that government and commercial licenses are first administered and enforced diligently.

These are FCC Part 90 TIS / HAR licenses, which usually carry a several hundred dollar fee, EACH. Hopefully, across the USA, are they all administratively up-to-date (fee's collected) and being used properly. :rolleyes:

5. K9GX

K9GX Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, you're all off the track here. This is likely a licensed TIS (Traveler's Information Station). There are a number of these licensed to operate between 1600 and 1700 kHz, mostly at 1610, if memory serves and a 530 kHz

FCC link here: https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/travelers-information-stations-search

Although I do like the reference to the film "On The Beach" with the dangling curtain cord flicking the key

6. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

WW2BSA- The first "Fletch" is my favorite movie.. 73

7. AI8O

AI8O XML Subscriber QRZ Page