Strange Story of DC's Lost AM Radio Station Still Transmitting Road Closures From 2013

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Mar 6, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
  1. K0DD

K0DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You guys... It was relaying sub carrier spy signals from Joe Biden's (Basement) AKA Sit Room in the White House bunker right to the Russian/ North Korean/Chinese Embassies, PLUS Spectre. THATS why they Jumped on the thing instantly... the only thing being changed was the daily uploaded sub carrier messages...

"The satellite is at present over.... Kansas. Well if we destroy Kansas the world may not hear about it for years..." Ernst Stavro Blofeld. Long live Spectre....!

M1WML, K8XG, KI4ZUQ and 1 other person like this.
  2. K0DD

K0DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Send him an Email...

M1WML likes this.
  3. KE0NRE

KE0NRE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Can't much the same be said about ragchewing on HF and local repeater conversations? What does that mean for the future of amateur radio in the internet age?

M1WML likes this.
  4. W8WJW

W8WJW Ham Member QRZ Page

In a way it's too bad that they changed the TIS rules, otherwise, it was quite was useful to have the local NOAA Weather Radio station on the AM band TIS when there was no traffic jams, since US car radios (other than Mercedes) don't tune NWR directly on VHF.
    I think it would be useful to propose to the FCC that NWR be permitted to run on TIS stations again instead of a loop that says what time it is, and there's "no delays"?

M1WML likes this.
  5. W4ZGC

W4ZGC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Our repeater sees hours of use a day, with at least half a dozen brand new hams discovering radio heard in the last week. We have stimulating QSOs too. We get out of what we put into it. Like anything else, it's all in what one does to make the atmosphere exciting and stimulating. Broadcast radio gave up on itself around a decade or so, corporate ownership insists on taking it to the grave with formats and content about as appetizing as two day old fast food, zero listener engagements (gone are days of live remote, yeah I know, blame COVID), and no compelling reason to turn off Spotify where one can get the same 50 songs one wants to hear minus the crude DJs, commercials for big pharma and banksters, and PSAs for "we're alone together: don't get the RONA" blaring.

KR3DX, M1WML, K8XG and 2 others like this.
  6. N4CVX

N4CVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This "Mystery Transmitter" is very close to a survey done in 1978 of the Pentagon Rooftop. At the time I was specializing in Technical Surveillance Countermeasures (TSCM). Anyway, our detachment commander was asked by the Secretary of Defense to "Survey the roof and find out what's up there". So, about 10 of us Technicians went to the roof -- not easy to do as there was only one entry, a metal stair from the 5th Floor "A" Ring hidden behind a steel security door. Turns out the door hadn't been opened in several years and we had to drill out the combination lock. Once up there we swept the whole area a suite of receivers, Racal, Microtel, Stoddard VLF, and CEI, which received from about 100kHz to 2.5 gHz. Every antenna was tagged and plotted in place. Many of them didn't have coax to them and had been abandoned in place years before; those we simply removed and piled up. The Sec Def office sent out a letter to all offices in the building telling them that if they had antennas on the roof they were required to "Claim Them" and after 45 days of no response the mystery antennas would be removed. A lot of the signals which we received were data bursts, a few had CW ID's with a "WAR-nnnn" callsign ("WAR-nnnn" is the official ID for Washington Area Radio) and a lot of point to point UHF voice links. No problem. After that 45-day period expired we went back up with bolt cutters. The one and only complaint received was from a tiny office in the Navy area that "Our TV isn't working anymore". We removed about 75 "mystery" antennas -- and lo and behold -- a number of the previously recorded and plotted "data bursts" disappeared. We were sure that they were probably clandestine listening devices sending back to the Embassy of the USSR, which was (of course) Line of Sight and 6.35 miles from the Pentagon. Wish I could have taken one of the huge Log Periodics on 75-foot towers back home HI HI. (BTW, there were only two of us on the team who knew Morse, me as a Ham and another Warrant Officer who was a former Morse Intercept Technician).

W1TRY, K6JGA, VU3DRU and 11 others like this.
  7. AK4JA

AK4JA Ham Member QRZ Page

Who bothers with radio anymore? Got a cell phone? (also known as a radio transceiver on cellular frequencies) Use wireless internet? Yep, them, too. Satellite internet? Yep, them as well.

I kinda' like what radio has to offer in all its varied forms.

M1WML likes this.
  8. WB1GCM

WB1GCM Ham Member QRZ Page

CFZM, Zoomer Radio, AM 740?
    WSM, Home of the Grand Old Opry?
    Useful News stations; WCBS, WINS, NY, NY?
    Some great locals with original music? Maybe not in your area, but New England has some great 1 KW Mom & Pop radio stations. I know "kids" in their 30's who enjoy listening to broadcast radio. It's not as grim as you think. When the chips are down, radio is there for you, too.

We had a two year old loop running in Manchester, CT until someone made a phone call. We always presume someone else will call....

N7EKU, KK4KRK, KR3DX and 3 others like this.
  9. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

And on the same topic I passed this in Havana, the Soviet Embassy, which towers over much of the city: [​IMG]

And also there was the ultimate insanity, during the Cold War hiring a Soviet company to build the American Embassy in Moscow. Surprise, surprise, the diplomats discovered they would be living in a giant microphone: https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...-fiasco/5bb6dcbf-0a61-4948-a953-e2d81085ed05/

2E0CIT, KK4KRK and M1WML like this.
  10. N5AQM

N5AQM Ham Member QRZ Page

My takeway?! NOBODY was listening....

M1WML likes this.