ad: chuckmartin

Strange Radio Signals From Nearby Star

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Jul 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Th resolution is 21 KHz, which means the system can only detect and cannot differentiate between natural phenomena and intelligent transmission, which presumably are very high Q, perhaps 1 Hz .

It could be a solar like radio emission (for this star), but would have to be dramatically scaled up to explain the 4000+ MHZ frequencies. There is no evidence for information.

2. K0HB

K0HB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

From the article:

"In case you are wondering, the recurrent aliens hypothesis is at the bottom of many other better explanations."

3. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

WONDER IF THOSE SIGNALS ARE FROM ME CALLING CQ FROM MY MOBILE 33 YEARS AGO?

4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

That's not Carl Sagan. That's a lesbian thespian...

AC0OB likes this.
  5. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

You're welcome Chip. Very grateful for your expert commentary too.

73, John

W1YW likes this.
  6. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh but Hans, until otherwise shown, although some prefer it to be ranked last, that hypothesis is still on the list ;)

It took 40 years for somebody to come up with a plausible theory backed by observable evidence for the "WOW!" signal.

Which came earlier just this year from an intrepid team at the Center for Planetary Science right here in west central Florida.

https://phys.org/news/2017-06-wow-mystery-space.html

https://regmedia.co.uk/2017/06/09/wow.pdf

http://planetary-science.org/

73 de John - WØPV

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    N0TZU likes this.
  7. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually her call sign was W9GFO.

AC0OB and VE3PQ like this.
  8. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

In character W9GFO seen operating (SWL) from now club station W9GFZ, the call sign formerly held by Grote Reber, a pioneering radio astronomer,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grote_Reber

W7UUU likes this.
  9. W0RIO

W0RIO Ham Member QRZ Page

WA7PRC likes this.
  10. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

"Side effects are generally mild, and can include nausea, vomiting, convulsions, sudden death, itchy rashes, full body hair loss, projectile vomiting, gigantic eyeball, the condition known as "hotdog fingers", children born with the head of a golden retriever, seeing the dead, bone liquification, possession by the Prince of Darkness... Is Zataproximetacine right for you? Ask your doctor!"

N9PBD and N0TZU like this.
  11. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Oops, my bad, I was using the Interstellar Wormhole Transport in Virgo last month and I think I left the particle accelerator on. If somebody could switch it off the next time the go thru, much appreciated.

Oh, and keep an eye out for a set of keys to a Vogon Constructor? I seem to have misplaced them in space, but might be time.

WU8Y likes this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Sagan knew about ham radio because I took him up to W2CXM twice, located at Barton Hall, about 200 feet from Spa Sci. He certainly knew about me, because I bailed on him as an advisor. He then bailed on me when he was assigned to my thesis defense, and slept in comfy cozy at his Beverly Hills hotel, without telling anyone ahead of time. The Astro faculty at Cornell was furious with him and it was a huge upset to my defense. A new faculty member was assigned in real time.

I passed.

I never got an apology from him. Dirt.

"Ellie" is a combination of people that Sagan knew. Obviously I know the personalities so ripped off. His first wife, Lynn Margulis, was one of them. Jill Tarter, IMO, is a smoke screen that was used to prevent lawsuits. I don't see any Tarter in "Ellie".

Your opinion may differ, but I know; I lived it.

Contact is a movie that has had no significant impact on the popular psyche. SETI's influence is also modest.Wrong players, IMO.

I am now 62 and have outlived Sagan. Applied the lessons learned. Lots of good stuff still ahead. Watch July 31, for example.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    K8PG and W0PV like this.
  13. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok it was me practicing code. my bad :rolleyes:

14. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

K8PG, WU8Y and N9PBD like this.
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Honestly...what kind of woman considers this haircut as 'marriage material'? I mean really: IMO he is making a living with this hair-raising.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017