Strange Antenna question

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KB2FMH, Jun 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB2FMH

KB2FMH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Has anyone ever used a high-rise fire escape as an HJF antenna?
    I lost a fight with my coop board and had to remove antennas from the roof. I am on the top (7th) floor and the fire escape is outside my shack window. I also have access to the steel skeleton of the building in my ceiling.

Any creative ideas are welcome.

Thanks
    James

2. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, yeah, that's a good idea as a UHF antenna would be very easy to camouflage it so that iit looks like part of the fire escape.. Just use flat aluminum stock for the elements and paint everything to match.

7th floor? No one will notice or be able to see it that far up!

3. KB2FMH

I have no desire for UHF / VHF Jeff. I want HF for 10 ~ 160 that will handle legal limit. I had yagis, verticales and wires on the roof under the previous board president, who even helped me put them up. He moved, an older female took the president position and caved to one complainer because she has no guts. After a year of fighting I had to take them down.

I figure the fire escape could handle the wattage if I could figure out a way to match it to my transmitters.

By the way, I did have a small V/Uhf vertical out there and it was seen and bitched about by people with nothing better to do than complain about what They don't like. In coops, everyone thinks they own the building.

I don't care about TVI / RFI at all either; when the aluminum was topside, no one noticed or cared. It was the new president who heard from the super about them. The fact is, if I can get the building to be an antenna, ity will likely interfere with some of the older televisions but most are using FIOS or Cable.

Thanks

4. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think they can keep you from having a TV antenna so how about this one?

SkyWireTV.png

NH7RO likes this.
  5. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

You've seen that dumb ad too!

K2CAJ likes this.
  6. NH7RO

Shucks; I thought it would be a simple fix but not so for HF in your situation. Hmm, I wonder if there is an adjacent building that might be amenable to having an antenna or two on top? Might be worth a try.

If you try to load the fire escape I'd try running bare wire along its length, feeding it with OWL into a tuner (inside a fake potted plant in a window box, perhaps?) This is a toughie but where there's a will there's a way. Too bad about the HOA lady (polite term).

Jeff

7. NH7RO

Another idea for 10-20M==MFJ 1979 17' telescoping whip on a jaws clamp on the fire escape (collapse to 28" or remove when QRT). The fire escape would then be the counterpoise (along with the frame you mention).

8. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

MFJ-1622, MFJ-1625, Buddistick.

9. AF7TS

AF7TS Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't have an answer for you, but something that I've been pondering which may be relevant:
    Could a small coupling loop (such as are sometimes used in magnetic loop antennas) be used to couple to a large 'ambient' loop such as are almost certainly found in a fire escape structure.

I figure that your fire escape and building structure are grounded and joined together in many locations, but there have to be many loops in these structures.

Jon
    AF7TS

N0TZU likes this.
  10. KB2FMH

Thanks folks. I am putting all thoughts into play with this mission.