straight talk phone with fildigi

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KA1BSZ, Aug 11, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

ya..thanks for the help everyone, but as usual, I have trouble with computers and tried the latest program gohyn and didn't work on my straight talk phone.

2. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The controls are poorly documented, though there is a "hidden" description screen which explains controls as you tap them, if it is clicked on first.

I found that turning off the default "auto" features lets you set level and frequency to match your practice setup.

Works great, but only in manual mode. For a code practice environment, this is sufficient.

I think the reason why it isn't as popular as others is because people expect to use it to decode "on the air" Morse and have the auto features handle QSB and poor fists. This is a challenge for any decoding software.

KA1BSZ likes this.
  3. KA1BSZ

Guess that why I'll stick to the laptop. I have lenovo E495 with fildigi,hrd,mixw, and muiltpsk.

4. KA1BSZ

I'll stick to my LENOVO E495 LAPTOP with all the digital and cw programs known to man.

5. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a Lenovo 11E, which is kind of "long in the tooth" but still works well. It runs CWGet just fine, with a splitter to handle the 11E's TRRS jack and create separate audio in / out. I also use a 1:1 isolation transformer to reduce hum.

CWGet is kind of "techy" compared to other decoders, but I like it. You can create a custom character set which can handle prosign display style. If you like fldigi's <AR> notation, you can set up CWGet to match that.

I still doesn't match "copying by ear", but I get it to work once in a while by carefully adjusting the filter and threshold settings, which are shown as a spectroscope and oscilloscope-type time plot. I haven't really used it much on the air for the last two years, as it can become a "crutch".

However, it works great for improving your straight key or bug fist, as a sending practice tool. PCW Fistcheck is the standard for this, but it takes me quite a while to set it up, compared to CWGet. (No graphical adjustments...)