straight talk phone with fildigi

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KA1BSZ, Aug 11, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a straight talk phone and googled FILDIGI and can't seem to get it to work. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

FLDIGI?

3. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I googled "straight talk phone and Fldigi" and came up with nothing. Maybe you could provide more information?

Have you tried the Fldigi group.io group(s)? I read the postings in the WinFldigi group every day. The developer of Fldigi, W1HKJ, is always there and can probably answer you question.

4. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Fldigi is a computer program not a phone app. You need a PC to run it.

5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There is no fldigi for android, but you might try DROID FSK

6. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Make that Droid PSK

7. KA1BSZ

doesn't really help me...looking for a program that will decode cw mostly.

8. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

9. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This one has the same controls as CWGet, allowing the user to "fine tune it" for use as a decoder for checking your timing when sending with a code practice oscillator (or keyer).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.g0hyn.myrecorder&hl=en_US&gl=US

It is also handy to record your practice session as a MP3 file, so you can play it back some time later and see if you can read your own sending.

Depending on your phone, it may be a challenge to connect it to your rig. The pinouts on the phone's headset jack are not generally compatible with a TRS source -- it is intended for a TRS earbud or a TRRS earbug/mic. You can get adapters to make this work, but it will take some research. If you can practice in a quiet location, you can just use audio coupling from the CPO to the phones' built-in mic.

None of the decoders, PC or Android, are actually worth anything for on the air decoding, unless the following conditions are true -

1. The signal has to be significantly above the noise level.
    2. The sender has to be sending correctly-timed Morse. Keyboard CW is perfect, of course, followed by paddles used by a skilled operator. The worst results are trying to decode straight keys and bugs, as most users of these mechanical sending devices just don't care about timing.

Unsolicited advice - decoders are useful tools for learning to send Morse code, but are not a substitute for learning to receive Morse code. ;)

10. KA1BSZ

well...tried this program....didn't really work.....guess I'll stick with the big laptop.