ad: ProAudio-1

Straight Keys? CW Proponents?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by WA7DU, Jul 28, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WA7DU

WA7DU Ham Member QRZ Page

Imagine the Venn diagram for two sets: 1) Straight Key (users), and 2) CW Proponents. Is this forum meant for the union of those two sets, or the intersection of those two sets (ignore, for the moment, that one of those two sets may be nothing more than a sub-set of the other) ?

I am a head-over-heels Morse code enthusiast. And probably have a stronger affection and affinity for straight keys or hand keys. But, cognizant that the group of Morse enthusiasts includes a huge majority of operators who prefer and use a semi-automatic keyer or an electronic keyer. So, to whom is this forum addressed, straight key users only, or all Morse enthusiasts?

2. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

Just for the sake of spreading information ... There is an organization that promotes the use of "straight keys", called the Straight Key Century Club (www.skccgroup.com). Their definition is a bit broader than just "pump handle" straight keys. They consider sideswipers (cootie keys) and semi-automatic bugs to also be straight keys. Basically, any device that is mechanical rather than electronic.

There are some other organization that I believe might use a similar definitions. I believe FISTS does so.

Perhaps that is the definition of straight keys that QRZ had in mind when creating this forum. If so, that represents a pretty big subset of CW operators. SKCC alone has over 14k members now.

73, Steve
    SKCC# 13651T

3. VK5EEE

VK5EEE Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree that in the absence of a more general CW forum, the title seems misleading or restrictive. I have both straight key and paddle in parallel, and enjoy all CW, perhaps indeed the forum should be for "non-computer" CW, and maybe that is the intention, if so I agree, but it makes it look as if paddles are excluded :)

4. VK5EEE

VK5EEE Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe its not that bad: Straight Keys - Morse Enthusiasts may imply everything in between.... from - to.... and Morse enthusiasts includes all manner of keying, but straight key and morse enthusiasts also sort of implies non-computer decoding/sending? It's tough to find the right name... We're thinking here what to call a Morse page/column in our national society magazine, do you have one in QST, if so, what is it called?

5. WA7DU

My query was more of a curiosity than a criticism. Either way, I am pleased that this forum is part of the QRZ.com world. Dit dit.

6. AA8TA

AA8TA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I wondered about the title as well since it lists straight keys first and CW second. Thus, I concluded that it was just for straight key fans. But the description doesn't seem to be that restrictive. I don't know, we'll see, I guess. If I need to take my paddles and skedaddle, so be it.

BTW: FISTS doesn't care what you send with.

7. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm a fairly recent learner of CW, and don't own a straight key, bug, or cootie. I always use paddles for sending. But I like hearing CW, regardless of which device was used to send it. And I do especially enjoy a bug or straight key that's used skillfully.

Hope I'm welcome here. If so, I'll participate. If not, I may eavesdrop, because I know I've got a lot to learn. My opinion is that CW fans should stick together, and not subdivide ourselves into too many exclusive subgroups.

K6JJR likes this.
  8. KI6J

KI6J Ham Member QRZ Page

My key is in the closet.

9. PD5SJO

PD5SJO QRZ Volunteer Moderator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This forum is for everyone who likes CW.

N7BKV likes this.
  10. WA7DU

I know a guy who studied receiving code just enough to pass Element 1. He said he hated code, and when he returned home after the Element 1 exam, he took his key and a shovel to the back yard, dug a hole, and buried the key.

Didn't even have the decency to hire a bugler for Taps.

I asked why he bought a key if he intended only to learn enough to pass the receiving exam. He looked at me as if I'd asked a question he'd never thought of.

Figures.

N2EY likes this.