Straight key vs paddle keying

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KI5FXG, Nov 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don’t work much code any more, but I will soon. I have always liked a straight key better. I am not a speedster. Never have been on paddles or straight key. Folks understand me better on straight key.

2. KF9VV

KF9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

I use both, and enjoy both.

I concentrated on straight key first to develop timing and have some fun. Once my natural speed progressed, I hit the limits of how fast I could cleanly send; then I went on to a paddle. That was for me starting all over again. It took a few months of daily practice to get somewhat smooth. I do believe it is best to start with a straight key and develop that sense of timing, it makes things go pretty easy later when you start to traverse into higher speed CW.

These days I switch between straight key and a paddle dependent on the speed of a CQ. Every day is a learning day with CW, that is the fun of it!

It takes some work.

One more thing, do not fool around with junky keys. Spend a just a little cash and get something well regarded. I would recommend hunting down a J-38, Nye Speed-X or even a Navy Flameproof as a starting point. Well under $100 and you have a straight key that will be all one needs to do well.

Jim
    KF9VV

W9RAC likes this.