ad: M2Ant-1

Straight Key Triple Play

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N3PM, Jul 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Found these prizes at a hamfest recently. In a small cardboard box, that I guess no one else looked into.
    J-38 in very good condx, Signal Elec 590 in good condx, and a clean Bunnell 6B (pretty sure), only has the "6B" in a readable spot.
    J38 SIG SM.jpg KEY2 TOP SM.jpg
    Looking for ideas on on a mounting scheme for the Bunnell. Never saw one before.
    Mike N3PM

2. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

Since nobody else has said it, I will. . . NICE FIND!

Unusual shorting lever on the 590. Is that original, or some kind of home-made replacement?

3. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure Dean. If it is HB, it's a nice job. Out of the three, the 38 was the only one I recognized immediately.
    Mike N3PM

4. WA3LKN

WA3LKN Ham Member QRZ Page

The little one is colloquially referred to as a 'spy key' but it's actually off a test panel made by Western Electric.
    Nice finds!

12.jpg 13.jpg

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    M6GYU likes this.
  5. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for the info. I hadn't found the article you posted.
    Mike N3PM

6. WA3LKN

That was from "The Vail Correspondant", #15 April 1996 issue.

7. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

If all those small keys had been 'spy' keys there must have been millions of spies knocking around. :rolleyes:

Likewise, many of the keys on Ebay in the UK are described as 'rare' and/or 'collectors items', when often they are commonly and easily available.

W1BR likes this.
  8. WA3LKN

There are lots of greedy and ignorant people listing telegraph items on ebay at 50-100X what the value would be to a collector.

I think it's hilarious seeing the junk people offer at stratospheric prices.

Like anything else in the collectables world, as a consumer of collectables you have to know the value of the items.

W1BR likes this.