Straight Key Night!!!

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KC2SIZ, Dec 7, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

SKN officially starts in 4 minutes but, I'm not waiting to call CQ. I'm on 28.050 right now, working Dick N5KIP in Baton Rouge.

2. AA4OO

AA4OO Ham Member QRZ Page

I picked up a Nye Viking Master Key for $10 a few weeks ago at an estate sale. I haven't put it on the air yet because I'm used to a European style SK but I plan trying it out soon.

Too bad there's a magnetic storm for SKN. I was working a station in Maine, he was 599 and then just disappeared into the noise in a manner of seconds.

W5BIB likes this.
  3. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Richard,... You'll love it & what a great price!! It's a very quiet key. You won't hear any "clicking or clacking".

On another note: I'm listening on 7117 khz now & it's pretty quiet. If you're up,... give a call

Steve / W5BIB

4. K5TRI

K5TRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, I like it when a key won't move around :). Santa came twice this year and I just brought home a nice Scheuneman Dirigent from Germany (hand made). But it's not a
    straight key, so won't get much exercise in January as I'll be on a LOT as K3Y/7. Will be probably on at at the tail end. My body is still in UTC+1 timezone.

73 Mike

5. K6JJR

K6JJR Ham Member QRZ Page

SKN was great, good propagation and good fellowship all around. I used various bugs with a DX-60B xmttr, and a HQ-160 rcvr. This is one of the better ARRL events. Thumbs up for SKN!

6. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Just before the end, I completed the 'SKN Sweep' with a 20m QSO w/ Darrel AA7FV in Tucson, Aridzona. That's between 'Oneson' and 'Threeson', AZ. ;):p:rolleyes:

I had fun switching between my Nye straight key and my K1EL WinKeyer USB w/ Vibrokeyer Iambic. I would make the switch between words... back and forth, back and forth. The other stations couldn't tell the difference. But then, I had a VERY good instructor, a retired Navy Radioman. I just called him 'Dad'. :):D

I heard many good fists. My vote for the bestest fist (after mine) goes to Steve WB2WIK, using his Vibroplex Blue Racer. :):D

vy 73 es HNY,
    Bryan WA7PRC

W5BIB and K6JJR like this.
  7. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for 1st QSO of 2016 :)

Steve / W5BIB

WA7PRC likes this.
  8. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Had some really nice ragchews on New Years Day with the HW-16 and my original key from back in the 70's. Fun event that I always look forward to. :)

K6JJR likes this.
  9. W0GSQ

W0GSQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Didn't get on as much as I was planning to because of family commitments but did have one very enjoyable QSO with my friend Dave, W0EDW. He's only a couple of miles away so we used 40M. Dave was using his Drake 2 line and I used (for the first time) my one tube TX that is based on a WWII German design and used a Drake R4A receiver on a separate antenna. My TX was not quite a pure note but Dave said not bad for a one tuber. About 3 watts out using link coupling so I ran it through a forty meter bandpass filter to keep everyone on twenty happy.
    It was a two page of notes QSO, enjoyed all of it.
    Nice to hear all the activity yesterday.

73, Steve

K6JJR and W5BIB like this.