ad: wmr-1

Straight Key Night!!!

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KC2SIZ, Dec 7, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

This year I think I am ready to exercise the TS-520Se and my Speed-X.

I always thought the Kent straight key looked very nice. I have a set of Kent paddles and like them a lot. Those of you with the Kent SK, how do you like it?

2. AA4OO

AA4OO Ham Member QRZ Page

I like my Kent Hand Key but I don't have much to compare it to besides a Nye Straight key. I got it for a good price on the popular auction site.

http://www.hamradioqrp.com/2015/09/review-of-kent-hand-key.html

[​IMG]

3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

NICE looking key Mike!! My new favorite straight key far and away is the "SATO Parts Company, Japan" key I bought from Ron, NN4RH last month.... never even heard of the brand before, but it's simply delightful to use on the air!! Perfectly balanced, and doesn't even hint at "wanting to walk around"

Hope to hear you on for SKN and the SKCC event that follows it.

Dave
    W7UUU
    SKCC #10168

sato key.jpg

4. N7DMA

N7DMA Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's what I've been using the past few days, and will be using it on SKN.

Ten-Tec Jupiter, and my new Vizkey camelback. Love the key (and the rig!)

Attached Files:

5. GM1FLQ

GM1FLQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Have quite a few straight keys and would rate the Kent as very good - it has what I would describe as a crisp and accurate feel using very close contact spacing and a relatively light spring tension. Built mine from a kit and it has 2 ballast weights fitted underneath the wooden base in a hollowed out section. This gives the key a nice stable feel on the desk. One very minor downside is that it sounds a tiny bit clacky to me and I think that may be the base causing it. They do a metal base which may reduce/eliminate that.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  6. KN4OK

KN4OK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I sure do like some of those keys. I haven't gotten a new key in many many years. The skcc key looks nice and thinking about getting a new vibroplex chrome straight key deluxe. Heck go for the Gold, oh well maybe some day. Look for me on 40m guys,

7. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Never have used a Speed-X. I bought a "NYE VIKING MASTER KEY" in 1988.
    [​IMG]
    It is similar in appearance, except for the base, the contacts (which are internal) & it is wired internally (no hook-up posts)
    I love it. It's VERY heavy & doesn't move around. I used it professionally (at WLO) for 9 years & as a ham ever since.
    I don't think it's made anymore. No matter which key I use (bug or straight key) this one stays on-line 24/7.:)

Steve / W5BIB

8. WK9U

WK9U Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll try to find you for a QSO, Dave.
    I'll be on my J-38.
    In the 160m contest recently, I was using the key and it's warmed up.

9. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

:)

Awesome!! Since it's SKN and not a "contest" perhaps we can work a schedule before hand - would love to get WI on my new Novice Corner rig - 20m would probably work just fine! Or 40 later at night.

Either way, Happy New Year Jason. On New Year's Eve, I'll be sure to have an ice cold beer in the W7UUU mug :)

VERY cool you get the J-38 on the air from time to time - great old key indeed....

Dave
    W7UUU

10. WK9U

WK9U Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd be very happy to sked. It'll look like a fourth of July sparker going in here by candle light . hi hi
    I have the 10 element beam to give up 20m and opting am for 40. We can make it happen at qrp levels I hope. Will be fun like our 160m log.