ad: M2Ant-1

Straight Key Night

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by KB4K, Dec 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I have a lot of very nice crystals but alas, I'll probably be on the HG-10b instead.
    Most likely will be running my WWII USN explosion proof (forget the model) along
    with my 1939 SpeedX that belonged to my Elmer back in the 1970s.

Always look forward to SKN :)

Dave
    W7UUU

2. N6RGR

N6RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was hoping I could have my shack set-up in time for Straight Key Night. But, alas it is not so....I have a Lysco 600 and a USN training J-38 straight key and a 60's SpeedX key. The Lysco is nice for a 1952 rig - it can be xtal controlled and has a VFO. I love using and listening to straight keys!!! Also have several home brewed xtal controlled rigs using 6AG7 and a 6V6 - only rocks I have are 40 meters. Next year I WILL be operating!!!

CW is FB - CU on 40

de KK6IVD Roger

SKCC11845 NAQCC 7165

3. KB4K

KB4K Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Roger,
    Hang onto that classic (classy) rig. They were prized possessions and a bit rare when I was a kid. I believe the 807 was grounded grid, but can't remember! I know it has a low pass filter inside the back of the cabinet, the one and only! Too bad the shack is down. Maybe an emergency antenna?
    Best 73's
    de Gary KB4K South Florida

4. N6RGR

N6RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Gary:

The Lysco and the Harvey Wells TBS50(C or D) were the pricey radios of that time. They ran about $130 or so - Probably way more at today's $$$. The Harvey Wells needed a separate VFO, whereas the Lysco has a built-in VFO. I would like to get a Lysco 600S, which includes a clamp-modulator for AM, or maybe I will attempt to home-brew one. I also have the Lysco Tuner for a wire antenna - may string up a wire and give it a go!

Would love to check in on the AM nets with Lysco 600s - That is another event you guys should be looking into the - Classic Exchange - lots of classic radios on the air!!!

73 and Happy Holidays to all!

de KK6IVD Roger

5. K7FD

K7FD Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll be on with my Red Rooster straight key, key clucks and all...

73 John K7FD

6. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HW-8, HW-16, AT-1/VF-1, Drake 2B, HQ-129X. NYE Viking, J-44.
    (olde habits are hard to break !!)

7. K8OMO

K8OMO Ham Member QRZ Page

be on the air with a DX 20 and HBR 11 home brew rx cu there

8. K8OMO

K8OMO Ham Member QRZ Page

Will be on 40 cw SKN with a HEATH DX 20 and HBR 11 home brew RX see you there

9. N3PDT

N3PDT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure looking forward to working as many of you guys as I can. It's pretty much straight key night every night here. Transmitters will be: Ameco AC-1, B&W 5100, and my favorite, a homebrew straight from the pages of the old "Understanding Amateur Radio" book, "A 100 watt (input) transmitter" using a 6AG7 to two 807's with differential keying - an exceptionally sweet sounding old rig.

Doug N3PDT

10. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Just wish I had a better antenna for 80/40 (GR5V, Vee configuration, 45' to apex, but not far from houses)....

Hoping that 20m stays open into the evening as I only have the 3 bands on my modified HW-16 (80/40/20)

But I'll take what I can get and have a great time in the process!!

Dave
    W7UUU

11. KB0TT

KB0TT Ham Member QRZ Page

Per the name.... SKN is for STRAIGHT KEYS .....Not bugs nor keyers ....

Some of the posters here don't get IT !

I will be there with my trusty J-38 and my ancient FT- 101 E ......

Many miles on that old rig ....

CU ,

JB

12. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Again, as I stated in post #3, use of a particular type of Morse generator is NOT specified in the "rules". From http://www.arrl.org/straight-key-night:
    Note the use of the word "preferred", meaning you're not relegated to using ONLY those methods of generating Morse.

Further, use of a boat anchor isn't required. So, if one wants to use a keyboard or PC to generate Morse to key his/her SDR rig, that's fine. The ONLY requirement is that the mode be Morse.

vy 73,
    Bryan WA7PRC

13. W7UUU

Not correct. Go check the rules. Bugs are a LONG LONG tradition on SKN

Dave
    W7UUU

14. KB0TT

KB0TT Ham Member QRZ Page

OK Then call it AKN. ANY KEY NIGHT....

It is called. STRAIGHT KEY NIGHT

SK

15. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

If YOU want to use a straight key, by all means, use one! I note, however, some Morse operators have (paraphrasing) "a fist meant for voice operation". I hope you're not one of those! ;)

I plan to switch between my Nye straight key, and my K1EL WinKeyer USB. When I was a Novice (ca 1070), I used an Ameco K4 straight key. Later, I built a homebrew vacuum tube keyer w/ homebrew paddle. I often was asked what keyer I was using... when I was using the straight key. :D

vy 73,
    Bryan WA7PRC
    SKCC 2507

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.