Straight Key Night around the corner

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by WD0BCT, Dec 17, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I've made a few Qs so far. 40m is very busy here... no matter which way I aim the yagi, there are lots of LOUD signals. A few have good fists, too.

WB5YUZ, W7UUU and K7TRF like this.
  2. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Five so far here, but only one with another station signing /SKN. Two of them were DX. I know DX isn't the point of SKN, but when they fall into your lap...

3. WB5YUZ

I've told this story before, but when I bought my bug, fifty dollars was a reasonable price for a good used one; a new one was about eighty. The OM who sold me mine let me have it for thirty-five, but told me if he ever heard me on the air sending dits at 25 WPM and dahs at 15, he was "going to drive down there and take it back." I don't think I've let him down.

N3PDT and N0NB like this.
  4. WB5YUZ

For some reason I'm having trouble finding information about the net. Can you point me in the right direction?

5. AA4OO

AA4OO Ham Member QRZ Page

6. WB5YUZ

Just now I worked Bill, W9ZN out of Chicago, on 14032. He was using a straight key (Western Union 1B) so I am counting it as an SKN contact even though he didn't sign SKN.

7. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats on the new office....and there were lots of chirpy CW signals out there last night!
    Congrats on your club's 100th year also!

W7UUU likes this.
  8. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I enjoyed SKN. Always do. In some ways I think it's the most significant ham radio event of the year. It's a celebration of the hobby and of CW.

I used my Ten Tec Century 22 rig. As for keys, I went back and forth between a Junker key, a British Admiralty key, an Amplidan and a German Baumeister key. Good times!

WA7PRC likes this.
  9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I use my straight key w/ my left hand, and my keyer w/ my right hand. In mid-word, I switched back and forth between my straight key and keyer. The other ops couldn't tell which was which. I was running at about 20 wpm. That was fun. :)

vy 73 es gd dx,
    Bryan WA7PRC

10. K8LGY

K8LGY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Had a great time on SKN.Made a total of 5 contacts ,2 on 40m & 3 on 80m. Band conditions were not the greatest but there was a lot of activity. Had my old viking ranger & collins 75s3b on the air for the first time in 55 yrs. 4 of the 5 stations worked were using vintage rigs . Great to see the interest in vintage rigs & hear code sent with a straight key. I for one can't wait until next years SKN.

CW 4 EVER 73 Bruce K8LGY

N0NB likes this.