Straight Key Night around the corner

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by WD0BCT, Dec 17, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

Yup, 30 WPM dits, 18 WPM dahs. :D

2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Even worse when they can't control those 30wpm dits and send one, two, three too many... And dont correct themselves and just keep going as if nothing is wrong.

K8AI and N0NB like this.
  3. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have an alligator clip with a fishing weight, slows mine way down. I either clip it to the regular weight or the end of the pendulum rod.

4. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

A spring type clothes pin works for me.

W5BIB likes this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

So just in time, I've put my SB-301 SB-401 fully online for SKN, using my Japanese SATO straight key. Might toss a bug in the mix as well, as I have several on hand. I'll divide my time between the Novice Corner (Drake 2NT transmitter, 100% crystal control and Drake 2A+2BQ receiver) and the Heathkit SB Twins....

Should be a fun SKN this year for me :)

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN and WB5YUZ like this.
  6. KI4ODO

KI4ODO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]
    I'm looking forward to it. I've never done much on SKN new years eve. Should have some time this year. I'll have my mascot ARRRRRT keeping an eye on things :D
    PS, no 30wpm dahs from this bug lol

N0NB and W7UUU like this.
  7. KI4ODO

KI4ODO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Edit, no 30wpm dits I meant

8. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

Discovered this morning that the filter caps in the HV power supple of the '520SE are on their way out. Don't really need a letter from an OO so I parked it under the other desk and am opting to use the K3 with the Speed-X.

KA0HCP likes this.
  9. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Tonight at the Radio Club of Tacoma, W7DK (W7OS is our Museum Station Call), I had the honor of the first SKN QSO on the just-restored Hallicrafters SX-28 receiver, paired with a BEAUTIFUL giant "Acme" homebrew 2x 807 transmitter (fueled by a slightly chirpy Heathkit VF-1 VFO). Special thanks to Rich Patrick, KR7W, for his diligent restoration of the SX-28 as well as being the guy who built the transmitter a while back. He's the most amazing vintage-style homebrewer I know.

Was a fun night - I got sworn in tonight as the new President of the club - super honor that it's our 100th year, and got to run the SX-28a for its first SKN QSO of 2017 (00:18 UTC)

The face you see behind me is Worth Gurley - W7WG - our oldest member - he's been a ham since 1935, and is almost 100 years old but still works CW. He was awaiting his turn at the SX-28a / 807 rig. He worked for the FCC during WWII decoding CW spy code on that very model receiver - SX-28a

Fun stuff.

Back home after dinner with friends - hope to work much more SKN tonight and tomorrow.

Dave
    W7UUU

SKN.jpg

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    WB5YUZ, N0NB and W5BIB like this.
  10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Mazel Tov, Dave, that's quite an honor.

SKN here is a bit boring so far as 40m is noisy and 80m is okay but not as many signals as I'd like to hear.

Will get on the QRZ.com net thing tomorrow AM for a while and try some SKN at the same time. We have a bunch appointment at 11 AM so might be around for a couple of hours before that.

WB5YUZ and W7UUU like this.