Straight Key Night around the corner

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by WD0BCT, Dec 17, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Ohhhh... I read to fast... Darn that evelyn wood course!

Dave must have posted that in 2013 then?

2. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Either that, or he pulled Bill / W9ZN up on youtube & inserted it in his post. (p'bly the latter)

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Look for y'all on SKN at some point.

I'm never "in it" for very long, but always make some contacts...usually on New Years Day, more so than NYE.

Last year I used my old Century 21 and a bug. Might do the same this year...just because. I don't have any "really old" rigs, and don't even own a hand key, so a bug is the closest I come.

My first SKN I used my Knight T-60 and an R-100A (terrible receiver, not a bad transmitter) and if I still had them I'd use them again. Or my old Ranger and NC-300, but I don't have those anymore, either.:p

4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Heathkit DX-60B + National NC-183, Ameco K4 straight key.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

NC-183 was a fine RX.

I had an NC-183D and don't remember what the difference with the "D" was, but boy on SW-BC it sounded amazing...P-P 20W audio output amp could drive all kinds of speakers.

I don't have that anymore, either (since about 1970) but it was a really fun receiver.

6. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Compared to the NC-183D (link), my NC-183 (link) had no bandspread markings for 15m. It was a good receiver. I used a 12" speaker mounted in the ceiling above (it had FB fidelity). With many toobs in it, my cat REALLY liked stretching out and sleeping on top. :)

7. KB4IUD

KB4IUD Ham Member QRZ Page

Just got back into activity this month after too many years. Was brushing up on CW and heard Bill "Butterball" Crane on CW at 3535. Hope to chat later with this great CW encourager! Jim, GA - KB4IUD

8. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have W9ZN in the log many times.

The first time I worked him was so long ago, that I thought it was possible old Ralph Matthews might still be alive - I only knew 9ZN had been his call sign, didn't know how old he was when he got it. In fact, he had been dead about ten years at that point. I have to admit I was disappointed it wasn't Ralph, but I've worked Bill several times since then and have enjoyed every QSO.

9. KI4ODO

KI4ODO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is pretty much a carbon copy of what I'll be doing lol. C21 and a bug. However I do have a straight key, I just really dislike using it.

10. KA2PVT

KA2PVT Ham Member QRZ Page

Dusting off the Chinese K4 and the Kenwood TS 530. See you on SKN 73

WA7PRC likes this.