ad: SDRKits-1

Straight Key Night around the corner

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by WD0BCT, Dec 17, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Both.

W7UUU likes this.
  2. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I send "full nines" and periods occasionally. If you never send a character, you will lose the ability to send it fluidly!

So, I send full nines in signal reports sometimes, and use periods for emphasis during more conversational QSOs.

N2EY likes this.
  3. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I can send this flawlessly on my bug at about 25 WPM over and over, but I can only get it right about one time out of three at about 35 WPM.

N2EY likes this.
  4. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

....bwaahaahaaa.......funny how that works, isn't it?

I got that "finger twister" from a QST "Stray", years ago. I wonder if there are any others?

5. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

In the five minutes between when I said I was going out to the shack to try it, and I got there, I totally forgot to try it!

Funny how that works... ! :confused:

maybe this evening I'll remember... o_O

6. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not perfect at anything.

But more than a few folks have been astonished when told I'm using a bug - including folks who say they can tell a bug fist.....

Depends on the op. A lot of newer ops haven't learned all the abbreviations and shortcuts yet. And some older ones do it out of habit.

Plus my straight key is a J-37....

73 de Jim, N2EY

W7UUU likes this.
  7. AA8TA

AA8TA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Last year I wanted to participate in SK night - actually it was morning - but just had my paddles. My TS-590 has separate jacks for an SK and one for paddles. So I moved the plug from the paddle jack to the SK jack and sent using just the dit paddle. Boy, was that rough! Made one contact for about 15 minutes and I'll bet he hoped to never work me again. This time I have an authentic, honest SK which has been broken in in several SKCC events.

After going back to paddles the way they were supposed to be used, I couldn't use them for a few days. I was really messed up, more so than usual. I know that probably nobody would care if I used a keyer, but it's the spirit of things.

Re bugs: people who use those should spend a lot of time off the air practicing. I know that I've heard some excellent bug operators but I assumed that they were using paddles, I just wouldn't know. But the ones who are still learning, it's not pretty.

8. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"Ben's Best Bent Wire..." is another good one !!

This is from Dave Richards / AA7EE:

//Quote//"Nearly every evening on 40M, I hear Bill Crane W9ZN for an hour or two coming in from Chicago. He’s a good op. I’m not sure what his top speed is, but I often hear him conversing easily with others at around 25wpm. He always matches the speed of whoever he is talking to, which I think is one mark of a good op. I remember the first time I QSO’ed with KA7PUN a couple of years ago. We were conversing easily at what was my comfortable speed back then (which was probably around 16-17 wpm). I thought that was his regular comfortable speed until I heard him in QSO a few days later with another station sending much faster. I realized that he had matched my speed and felt very grateful to him for making me feel comfortable in that QSO.

Anyway, back to Bill. I first noticed him on the band for a style of sending that incorporates a variation on the “Ben’s Best Bent Wire” routine that commercial operators used to use in order to loosen up their wrists before a shift. At the time, I wasn’t familiar with this type of routine and only knew that Bill had a style that made him stand out on the band for me. Here’s what I’m talking about. This is Bill as recorded last night –

I imagine that a few decades ago, this kind of routine was more prevalent on the bands, but W9ZN is the only station I have heard doing it. Some people would probably prefer to perform their warm-up routines off the air, but it sure is a good way for Bill to be instantly identifiable. A little online research seems to indicate that he was a Chicago radio personality in the 60’s and 70’s, going by the name of Bill “Butterball” Crane. I’d sure like to QSO with him, but he never hears my puny 5W sigs. He’s running QRO, and a regular presence in the segment from 7031 – 7034 most evenings."//unquote//

Try it sometime...

"BENS BEST BENT WIRE /5 /5 HN HN HN E E T." ;) (Bill / W9ZN adds quite a bit more, & it sure sounds like music to me) :)

Steve / W5BIB

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    N2EY likes this.
  9. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

? 3-29-13 ? Check the calendar Steve, you might need a new one!;)

There are some recordings of his old radio shows online. He was a hoot on the air. He still works for WGN behind the scenes.

I always enjoy qsos with Bill.

10. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, I noticed the date but that was what Dave / AA7EE posted & I didn't want to take the liberty to change anything. :)

dit dit