ad: elecraft

Straight Key Night around the corner

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by WD0BCT, Dec 17, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Note the use of the word "preferred". Whereas, FISTS (and SKCC I believe as well) specifically forbids keyers in their contests without a medical waiver from the organization.

In common practice, I hear keyers all the time in SKN. Frankly, in the CW sprints as well - must be a lot of "medical waivers" out there :rolleyes:

Dave
    W7UUU

2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One sending exercise is to send the following:

SHE IS 55 ES SHE IS HIS SISTER

It's not nearly as easy as you might think.

3. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How do you know folks are using keyers, Dave?

73 de jim, N2EY

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Perfect sending - I know I know - I do believe you probably have perfect sending on any device :) I frankly consider that I do too - I keep my bug set fairly slow (20 WPM) which I believe allows me to keep it really clean.

But you know what I mean - chaps sending full-length 9, using periods, stuff that a guy on a J38 is not likely to do.

I fully get your point but I suspect you do in fact know what I mean as well :)

Dave
    W7UUU

5. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll be giving that try in a few minutes when I wander out to the shack.

I bet he can even tell you the make/model of the keyer! ;):D

N2EY likes this.
  6. W7UUU

Haha..... you all know EXACTLY what I mean. Quit being so coy. There's not one of us using a bug or straight key that is 100% perfect 100% of the time, sending full-length number 9 instead of N, using periods and commas, etc.

You both fully know what I mean. Don't be silly :)

Dave
    W7UUU

7. KR6AUL

KR6AUL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's love potion number 9 o_O

8. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

ME? ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaa :p

W7UUU likes this.
  9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Ahem. I was taught to send PERFECT Morse using a straight key. I had the best instructor in the world, a retired Navy Radioman (I called him 'dad'). I use a straight key w/ my left hand and a keyer/bug w/ my right hand, and have fun switching between the two in mid-word. Before I used a keyer/bug for the first time, I was asked more than once what kind of keyer I was using. :D

N2EY likes this.
  10. W7UUU

Same here but I'd bet you don 't send "N" for the number 9 and end your sentences with periods? Cuz I sure hear a lot of folks on SKN doing those things cuz that's what their macro in FLDIGI is programmed to send.... I just prefer to send an "N" and BT at the end of a sentence. ;):D

Dave
    W7UUU