Straight Key Night around the corner

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by WD0BCT, Dec 17, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Anyone else dusting off their straight keys for the upcoming event?
    I'm always terrible going back to a Straight Key....I need practice to get it back.
    Otherwise I embarrass myself!

2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

But of course! I cheat though... I use the dash paddle on my bug, don't tell anyone! ;)

3. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The question, which key to use? I am equally slow with all of them!

4. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I promise, if I hear you I'll try my darndest to speed up and try to match your speed! ;)

5. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

These days, I can manage only about 20 wpm on a straight key. But, since I'm left-handed on a SK and right-handed on a keyer/bug, it's fun to switch back-and-forth. Other ops can't tell which is which.

W5BIB likes this.
  6. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Can you send on both simultaneously? Sort of like patting your head and rubbing your tummy.....or is it the other way around?

7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Almost... send a character on one key, send the next character on the other key, etc.

8. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Am I the only one that reads "Silent Key Night"? sorry.

K8AI and N7ZAL like this.
  9. KN4OK

KN4OK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been using a straight key for about 38 years now....I will be on :rolleyes:

10. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I only have the straight key and the bug. I find it useful, with my mediocre antennas, to send my call slowly with the straight key and everything else at around 25-30 WPM with the bug when working DX.

But I will be on SKN, this year as every year. I hope to work some of the regulars on this forum, so if you hear me, please call.